Can't figure out how to solve a diffrential equation

In summary, the person is trying to solve an equation but does not know how to do it analytically. They start with the integrating factor method but get messy. They find a website that teaches how to do it analytically and then use that to find their solution.
johnt447
Hey

Not done this in ages and just can't figure it out, i need to solve the equation;

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=-\alpha v+\lambda F[/itex]

Where alpha,lambda and F are constants.

I'm so used to solving differential equations numerically i think I have forgotten how to do it analytically:P

My first attempt was looking at the integrating factor method although that seemed to get a bit messy think i might have messed it up a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok to continue with your integrating coefficient method ... a good start would be to use e^αt and multiply that through the entire equation after you move the αv over to the left side.

dvdt=−αv+λFdvdt+αv=λF

e^αt dvdt + αv e^αt= λF e^αt

the left side is the derivative (chain/product rule) of some function: ddt (v e^αt) ... (since v is a function of t the chain + product rules both happen.) so if you rearrange the left side a bit and express it as a derivative like I said up there, then integrate both sides with respect to t, you'll have your solution.

I'm not going to finish the integration and algebra just due to whatever academic integrity forum rules there probably are, but you should get something in the general form of:

v = [v(0) - λF/α] e^-αt + λF/α

for v=v(0) at t = 0

... assuming I didn't make any silly mistakes or mistypes on my phone.

I hope that kinda helps more than it confuses

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and that webstie to check DE is really useful.

johnt447 said:
Thanks for the replies and that webstie to check DE is really useful.

Yes it's a really cool tool for graphing and that kind of thing too. It pretty much does everything that you can think of, and usually shows its method.

1. How do I identify a differential equation?

Differential equations are equations that involve both a function and its derivatives. They can be identified by looking for terms involving derivatives, such as dy/dx or d^2y/dx^2.

2. What is the general process for solving a differential equation?

The general process for solving a differential equation is to first separate the variables, then integrate both sides of the equation, and finally solve for the function. However, this process may vary depending on the type of differential equation.

3. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may not have a closed-form solution, or may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

4. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other techniques such as Laplace transforms or power series methods may also be used for more complex equations.

5. What resources are available for help with solving differential equations?

There are many resources available for help with solving differential equations, including textbooks, online tutorials, and math forums. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a math tutor or consult with a colleague or mentor who has experience with differential equations.