Writing Chemical Equations, Is It a Gas or Aqueous Solution?

In summary, the proper notation for Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) is (aq) when it is dissolved in water, regardless of whether it is a gas or not. However, for a gas that forms an acid upon contact with water, it is written as (g) before the reaction takes place. The (aq) notation is used as a shorthand to keep track of the solution, and most gasses are on the products side of an irreversible reaction.
Mazurka
Hello,

I understand that this question may seem rather obvious for some. Nonetheless, it is something that seems to have thrown me off a number of times.

When writing chemical equations involving acidic or basic solutions, I know that the acid on the reactant side is written with the state (aq). i.e. HCl (aq) + H2O (l) → H3O+(aq) + Cl-(aq)

However, if it is a gas that forms an acid upon contact with water, is the acid on the reactant side still written with the state (aq), or is it written with the state (g)? For example, let's say a question states "HCl (g) is dissolved in water to form an acidic solution..." What state would the hydrogen chloride gas be written as within the equation?

Ideas are welcome, explanations are greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you,

Eric.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
HCl(aq) is the proper notation for Hydrochloric Acid (HCl dissolved in water).

HCl is the proper notation for the gas. You don't usually specify the state unless there are very unusual conditions.

HCl(g) + H20(l) ---> HCl(aq) but this is not really a chemical reaction. eg. you wouldn't normally use an equation to describe making salty water:

NaCl(s) + H2O(l) ---> NaCl(aq)

In general, you express the reactants in the state they start out in. You only need to do this if it is not obvious from the context. Your confusion is what happens when one of your reactants is the form of a gas that starts out dissolved in water (it's a solution - aq). This confusion is magnified by the common habit of leaving the (aq) off the acid.

In practice, these notes are a shorthand to keep track of things which get explained in the preamble to the equations.

Mazurka said:
Hello,

I understand that this question may seem rather obvious for some. Nonetheless, it is something that seems to have thrown me off a number of times.

When writing chemical equations involving acidic or basic solutions, I know that the acid on the reactant side is written with the state (aq). i.e. HCl (aq) + H2O (l) → H3O+(aq) + Cl-(aq)

However, if it is a gas that forms an acid upon contact with water, is the acid on the reactant side still written with the state (aq), or is it written with the state (g)? For example, let's say a question states "HCl (g) is dissolved in water to form an acidic solution..." What state would the hydrogen chloride gas be written as within the equation?

Ideas are welcome, explanations are greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you,

Eric.

You are asking about a dissolution reaction. The process is

[tex]\text{HCl(g)} \rightleftharpoons \text{HCl(aq)}[/tex]

but [itex]\text{HCl(aq)}[/itex] is very unstable and dissociates as you correctly note above. See http://dl.clackamas.edu/ch105-03/dissolut.htm

Last edited:
Also, most gasses are things like N2 / O2 / H2, and they are more than likely on the products side of an irreversible reaction.

Like, the reaction would form some product, and give off a gas as well.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. Writing chemical equations can be tricky, especially when it comes to differentiating between gases and aqueous solutions. Let me provide some clarification to help you understand this concept better.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the state of a substance in a chemical equation is not always determined by its physical state at room temperature. For example, water is typically a liquid at room temperature, but in a chemical equation, it is often written as (l) to indicate that it is in the liquid state. Similarly, a gas can be written as (g) or (aq) depending on its role in the reaction.

In your example, HCl (g) is dissolved in water, so it would be written as HCl (aq) in the equation. This is because when gaseous HCl dissolves in water, it forms an aqueous solution of HCl molecules surrounded by water molecules. Therefore, it is appropriate to write it as (aq) to indicate that it is in the aqueous state.

On the other hand, if the question stated that "HCl (g) reacts with water to form an acidic solution," then it would be written as HCl (g) in the equation. This is because in this case, HCl is acting as a gas and not as a dissolved species in the solution.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

1. What is the purpose of writing chemical equations?

Writing chemical equations is a way to represent a chemical reaction using symbols and formulas. It allows us to understand the reactants and products involved in a reaction, as well as the quantity of each substance.

2. How do you know if a substance is a gas or an aqueous solution in a chemical equation?

In a chemical equation, a gas is typically represented by the symbol "g" after the chemical formula, while an aqueous solution is represented by "(aq)". This indicates that the substance is dissolved in water.

3. Can a substance be both a gas and an aqueous solution in a chemical equation?

Yes, some substances can exist as both a gas and an aqueous solution depending on the conditions of the reaction. For example, carbon dioxide gas (CO2) can also exist as an aqueous solution when dissolved in water.

4. How do you balance chemical equations with gases and aqueous solutions?

When balancing chemical equations, it is important to balance the number of atoms on both sides of the equation, regardless of their physical state. This means that the number of gases and aqueous solutions should also be balanced along with the other substances.

5. Are there any special rules for writing chemical equations with gases and aqueous solutions?

One important rule to remember when writing chemical equations is that gases and aqueous solutions should be written on the right side of the arrow (indicating the products) unless they are involved in a precipitation or gas evolution reaction. In these cases, the gases or aqueous solutions should be written on the left side of the arrow (indicating the reactants).