Mitosis: Comparing Karyotype 1 & 2

• Thread starter chembloke
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two karyotypes and the confusion regarding the depiction of chromosomes as either bars or Xs. It is clarified that in karyotype 1, each chromosome is depicted as 2 bars, while in karyotype 2, each chromosome is depicted as 2 Xs. The conversation also touches upon the difference between sister chromosomes and sister chromatids, and the fact that a somatic cell is still diploid even though the chromosomes may appear singular after division.
chembloke
So here is my dilemma.

I'm looking at these two karyotypes.

Karyotype 1: http://www.biotechnologyonline.gov.au/images/contentpages/karyotype.jpg
Karyotype 2:http://www.contexo.info/DNA_Basics/images/karyotype1.gif

Now karyotype 1, each chromosome is depicted as 2 bars. In karytope 2, each chromosome is depicted as 2 Xs. Which one is it? Is the one bar a more condensed version of one X.

It's confusing me because many pictures of mitosis show the replication of a bar, then when duplicated its the sister chromosomes depicted as an X, and then they split again as a bar, like the image here:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/Major_events_in_mitosis.svg.

The way this looks to me, a somatic cell appears haploid because the chromosome looks singular rather than a pair after it's divided. Now if that one bar was actually an X, then it would totally make sense to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
They're not sister chromosomes, they're sister chromatids that together form a chromosome.

Karyotype 1 is showing the genome as it exists in a somatic cell (albeit in condensed form), while 2 shows it after it has replicated. Note that 2 shows 2 copies of each chromosome.

chembloke said:
The way this looks to me, a somatic cell appears haploid because the chromosome looks singular rather than a pair after it's divided. Now if that one bar was actually an X, then it would totally make sense to me.

No, it is still diploid. Homologous chromosomes are not attached at their centromeres. Homologous chromosomes are the two copies of each chromosome one of each pair of which you get from one of your parents. It is the replicated chromosome i.e. the sister chromatids that form the X-shaped structure.

1. What is mitosis?

Mitosis is the process of cell division where a single cell divides into two identical daughter cells. This process is essential for growth, repair, and reproduction in organisms.

2. What is a karyotype?

A karyotype is a visual representation of the chromosomes in an organism, arranged in order of size and shape. It is used to study and analyze an individual's genetic makeup.

3. How do you compare karyotype 1 and 2?

To compare karyotype 1 and 2, you would need to examine the number, size, and arrangement of the chromosomes in each karyotype. You can also look for any structural abnormalities or differences in the chromosomes.

4. What are the potential differences between karyotype 1 and 2?

There could be potential differences between karyotype 1 and 2, such as variations in the number of chromosomes, size and shape of chromosomes, or presence of genetic abnormalities. These differences can indicate genetic disorders or diseases.

5. What can we learn from comparing karyotype 1 and 2?

Comparing karyotype 1 and 2 can provide insights into an individual's genetic makeup and identify any genetic disorders or abnormalities. It can also help researchers understand the relationship between genetic variations and diseases.