Computer Architecture Problem

In summary, the values for the dashes are don't care or undefined values, since this is the initial state for the cpu.Sorry I posted the wrong set...Memory Location, Instruction, PC, AR, DR, AC, IRINITIAL, 100, -, -, ABCD, -
itech4814
I need some help on solving a few problems...

Basic Computer has initial I=0, PC=100, AC=ABCD Address 055

Memory Location, Instruction, PC, AR, DR, AC, IR
INITIAL, 100, -, -, ABCD, -
100, LDA, 101, 055, 7777, 7777, 2055

I need to find out what the values for the dashes are and how you got those values.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you're supposed to fill in those dashes? It would see like those are don't care or undefined values, since this is the initial state for the cpu.

Sorry I posted the wrong set...

100, STA, *, *, *, *, *

I need the values for the asteriks.

itech4814 said:
100, STA, *, *, *, *, *

In this case you're missing the address to store AC into. You'll also need to look up the instruction code for STA which goes into IR bits 14..12, assuming this is a "basic computer" used in some programming classes.

I looked up STA and it says STA= D3T4: M[AR]<-AC, SC <- 0

What does this mean?

itech4814 said:
Address 055 is AR, address register, but that should mean the address to use for the STA instruction, not the initial state of AR, which won't matter, since the STA instruction includes an address field (assuming this is the basic computer).

itech4814 said:
What does this mean?
M means memory, M[AR] means memory at location AR, M[AR]<-AC means that M[AR] is stored with the content of AC. Link to documnet (pdf) for basic computer:

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~mperkows/CLASS_573/573_2007/xx.pdf

Last edited:
I am still lost on these charts. But I do have another question...

Computer uses a memory unit with 4M words of 32 bits each and 32 registers. How many bits are for each part of the instruction?

indirect-
opcode-
register code-
address-

itech4814 said:
I am still lost on these charts.
I'm not sure if it's mportant to understand SC and internal timiings of the cpu, if the goal is to understand how to program, versus understanding how a cpu works.

itech4814 said:
Computer uses a memory unit with 4M words of 32 bits each and 32 registers. How many bits are for each part of the instruction?

indirect-
opcode-
register code-
address-
This isn't enough information. 4M words requires 22 bits of addressing. Indirect mode may not be supported. You didn't specify the number of registers or if the machine supports a variety of indexing modes. Not all 32 bits of a word may be used for a single instruction, or a single instruction might require two 32 bit words.

Ha ok. Let's try another one.

Address=100; Hexadecimal code=2400;

What is the statement or the symbolic name of the opcode?

itech4814 said:
You'll need to look at the upper bits of the hexidecimal code (which is the instruction) to determine the opcode.

itech4814 said:
I need some help on solving a few problems...

100, LDA, 101, 055, 7777, 7777, 2055

I need to find out what the values for the dashes are and how you got those values.

itech4814 said:
Sorry I posted the wrong set...

100, STA, *, *, *, *, *

itech4814 said:

What does this mean?

itech4814 said:
I am still lost on these charts. But I do have another question...

indirect-
opcode-
register code-
address-

itech4814 said:
Ha ok. Let's try another one.

Address=100; Hexadecimal code=2400;

Per the PF rules (see the Rules link at the top of the page) you need to show your own work on your schoolwork questions before we can offer tutorial help. Stop asking questions expecting us to give you the answers. That's not how it works here at the PF.

Please post your work on each of your questions, so that we can offer some tutorial hints.

I have an issue with my computer architecture problem.

Computer has intial I=0, PC=100, AC=ABCD, Address 055. The content of memory location (055) is 7777. I have to find PC, AR, DR, AC, and IR from that information using the STA instruction.

The STA instruction is M[AR] <-AC

I calculated the following values and believe it is correct...

PC=101;
AR=055;
DR=ABCD;
AC=ABCD;
IR=3055;

Can anyone tell me if this is correct?

1. What is computer architecture and why is it important?

Computer architecture is the design and organization of the components that make up a computer system. It includes the hardware components such as the processor, memory, and input/output devices, as well as the software components such as the operating system. It is important because it determines the overall performance and capabilities of a computer system.

2. What are the main components of a computer system?

The main components of a computer system include the processor, memory, storage devices, input/output devices, and the motherboard. The processor is responsible for executing instructions and performing calculations, while memory stores data and instructions temporarily. Storage devices are used for long-term data storage, and input/output devices allow the computer to communicate with the outside world. The motherboard connects and coordinates all of these components.

3. What is the difference between von Neumann and Harvard architecture?

Von Neumann architecture is the traditional design used in most modern computers, where the processor and memory share the same bus for data transfer. Harvard architecture, on the other hand, has separate buses for data and instructions, allowing for faster data transfer. This makes Harvard architecture more efficient, but it is also more complex and expensive to implement.

4. How does computer architecture affect system performance?

The design of computer architecture can have a significant impact on system performance. A well-designed architecture can improve the speed and efficiency of data transfer, processing, and overall system performance. On the other hand, a poorly designed architecture can lead to bottlenecks, delays, and reduced performance.

5. What are some common challenges in computer architecture design?

Some common challenges in computer architecture design include balancing performance and cost, ensuring compatibility with existing systems, and adapting to rapidly changing technology. Designers also need to consider factors such as power consumption, reliability, and scalability when designing a computer architecture.