Is it possible to have a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat?

• Thread starter wav3 r1d3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mach
In summary, it is possible to have a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat of a converging-diverging nozzle, and to solve for this Mach number, one must consider the area ratios and use the equations of one-dimensional, steady flow.
wav3 r1d3r
I have a problem for my Gas Dynamics homework, in which the problem asks to solve for the Mach number at the throat of a converging-diverging nozzle.

I assumed that the Mach at the throat should be equal to 1 since the professor said it was impossible to have a Mach number greater then 1 at the throat.

After showing the same problem to a Graduate Student I work with he showed me that it is possible to have a Mach number greater then 1 at the throat through the area ratios.

But after speaking to my professor a second time he has again said it is not possible.

So my question is.. is it possible to have a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat.

Oh the conditions for the problem are as follows:
Mi=2
Ai=20 cm^2

Athroat=15cm^2

Shock Area=22 cm^2
Ae=25cm^2

where gamma= 1.4

according to the solutions Mach at the throat equals 1.662

I assumed it was 1 but it was not correct.

If someone could steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to have a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat of a converging-diverging nozzle. This is due to the area ratios which change the pressure and velocity in the nozzle as the air passes through. The pressure and velocity changes result in a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat. To solve for the Mach number at the throat, you can use the equations of one-dimensional, steady flow and the given conditions to calculate the pressure ratio, temperature ratio, and density ratio. Once these values are determined, you can then use the equation for the Mach number to solve for the Mach number at the throat.

1. What is the Mach number and how is it calculated?

The Mach number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the speed of an object relative to the speed of sound in the surrounding medium. It is calculated by dividing the speed of the object by the speed of sound.

2. Is it possible to have a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat of a supersonic nozzle?

Yes, it is possible to have a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat of a supersonic nozzle. This occurs when the speed of the gas flowing through the nozzle is greater than the local speed of sound, resulting in a supersonic flow.

3. What are the consequences of having a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat?

Having a Mach number greater than 1 at the throat can lead to shock waves and other compressibility effects in the flow. This can cause significant changes in the pressure, temperature, and density of the gas, which can affect the performance and stability of the object.

4. How can a Mach number greater than 1 be achieved at the throat?

A Mach number greater than 1 at the throat can be achieved by accelerating the gas to a high speed through a converging-diverging nozzle, such as in a supersonic jet engine. It can also be achieved through other means of compression, such as using shock waves or combustion.

5. What is the significance of the Mach number at the throat in supersonic flow?

The Mach number at the throat is a critical parameter in supersonic flow as it determines the flow regime and the performance of the object. A Mach number greater than 1 at the throat is necessary for supersonic flow, while a Mach number less than 1 indicates subsonic flow.