ANSYS Workbench: Importing a load into Mechanical from external data

In summary, the speaker has successfully created an external data box in ANSYS and imported a load file with x, y, and load values. The load is meant to be applied to a curved surface generated from a cross-section along a path. However, the load seems to vary within the cross-section instead of along the path as intended. The speaker is seeking advice on how to properly import the data into ANSYS and generate the load correctly.
Galju
I have modeled a curved surface to which I need to applied forces defined in a Excel csv sheet. I have successfully created an external data box in the project schematic and tried to import the load into mechanical.

The load file I have resembles:

X Y Load
0.3 1.0 20
0.4 1.2 22

the x y columns are used to create the path geometry for a cross-section. The load is to be coupled with the x-coordinate so that it is applied to the to surface of the generated surface (from the extruded cross-section along the path).

The Problem:
I managed to import the load and set it to the Z-component, however, when I generate the load, it seems to vary within the cross-section. I need it to vary along the path's x- coordinates.

attached are 2 photos showing how the load is varying along the cross-section-- which is wrong. the colours should vary along the length of the surface.

Thank you for your help.

Galju

Attachments

• Load Import Airfoil Cross-section.JPG
    Load Import Airfoil Cross-section.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Imported Load Dist.JPG
    Imported Load Dist.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,134
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Galju:

This is more of a question myself. How did you import the x,y,z text data file into ANSYS? What version were you using? I would like to know this also because I have say a surface measurement data in xyz format and make that an surface plot on a solid.

Thanks.

1. How do I import a load into ANSYS Workbench Mechanical from external data?

To import a load into ANSYS Workbench Mechanical, first open the Mechanical module and then go to the Model tab. From there, click on the "Import External Data" option and select the file containing the load data. The load will then be imported into your model.

2. What types of external data can be imported into ANSYS Workbench Mechanical?

ANSYS Workbench Mechanical allows for the import of various types of external data, including text files, Excel spreadsheets, XML files, and ANSYS format files. These files can contain load data, geometry, material properties, and other model information.

3. Can I modify the imported load data in ANSYS Workbench Mechanical?

Yes, you can modify the imported load data in ANSYS Workbench Mechanical. After importing the data, you can use the "Edit Load" option to make changes to the load values, locations, or other properties. You can also use the "Define Loads" option to add additional loads or modify existing ones.

4. How do I ensure that the imported load data is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of imported load data, it is important to carefully review the data before importing it into ANSYS Workbench Mechanical. Check for any errors or inconsistencies in the data and make corrections if necessary. It is also recommended to perform validation tests on the imported data to ensure its accuracy.

5. Can I export load data from ANSYS Workbench Mechanical to external software?

Yes, you can export load data from ANSYS Workbench Mechanical to external software. Simply go to the "Export" option in the Model tab and select the desired file format. This will export the load data along with the rest of the model information to be used in other software programs.