Airspeed Indicator Design Question

• Thread starter bbrady1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation revolved around the design of an airspeed indicator that will be mounted on a car's roof. The design is based on a water manometer and will determine airspeed using a digital scale. The main concern was the dynamic response of the system to gusts and turbulence, which is dependent on the diameter of the cross tube in the schematic. The "Diameter effects" picture showed how different diameters would respond to a typical gust. The speaker is seeking advice on what diameter cross tube to select, taking into consideration the frequency response and volume of the system. Additionally, the conversation touched on the importance of minimizing diameter and tubing length, as well as having separate pressure ports for accurate readings.
bbrady1
I am building an airspeed indicator that will be mounted on the roof of my car. The design is based on a water manometer. See the attached schematic. I will be able to determine the airspeed based on the weight indicated on the digital scale.

My question is in regard to the dynamic response of this system to gusts/turbulence. How fast the system responds is dependent on the diameter of the cross tube in the schematic. If the diameter is too small, abrupt changes in airspeed will not be picked up. If it is too large, I may never get a steady reading on the scale.

The "Diameter effects" picture shows how the system would respond to a typical gust. True airspeed appears in blue, and the other colors show the indicated airspeed for different cross tube diameters (reported in meters). What diameter cross tube should I select?

Attachments

• diameter effects.jpg
    diameter effects.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 373
  • Schematic.png
    Schematic.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 453
Engineering news on Phys.org
Typically a Pitot tube's frequency response is dependent on both the diameter of the tube and the length of tubing between the pressure port and the sensing element, or more correctly the volume of that whole space.

The smaller the volume, the faster the response. This means minimizing diameter and tubing length as well as the large dead volumes you have in your design.

You also generally have your static port separate from your stagnation port, as the pressure inside your tube if designed properly will be at stagnation pressure. Your design would theoretically measure zero at all times.

1. What is an airspeed indicator?

An airspeed indicator is an instrument used to measure the speed at which an aircraft is traveling through the air. It displays the aircraft's velocity relative to the surrounding air.

2. How does an airspeed indicator work?

An airspeed indicator works by measuring the difference between the dynamic pressure of the air entering the instrument and the static pressure of the air around the aircraft. This difference is then converted into a speed reading using a series of mechanical or electronic components.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of an airspeed indicator?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of an airspeed indicator include changes in altitude, temperature, and air density. Additionally, instrument errors, such as mechanical friction or calibration errors, can also impact the accuracy of the airspeed reading.

4. How is the airspeed indicator calibrated?

The airspeed indicator is calibrated by comparing its readings to a known airspeed value while the aircraft is at a specific altitude and air density. If there is a discrepancy, adjustments can be made to the instrument's internal mechanisms to improve its accuracy.

5. Can an airspeed indicator display different units of measurement?

Yes, an airspeed indicator can be calibrated to display different units of measurement, such as knots, miles per hour, or kilometers per hour. However, the most common unit used in aviation is knots, as it is the standard unit for airspeed measurement in the International System of Units (SI).