Stainless steel pipe selection

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an application for a pumping system, consisting of 3 parallel pumps with a maximum head of 8 bars. The question is raised about the suitability of a stainless steel pipe with an 8" diameter and sch 10 for use under this pressure. The response suggests consulting the appropriate piping code for proper design, inspection, and stress considerations. It is not just a matter of selecting a pipe with sufficient wall thickness, but ensuring compliance with the code.
maxx_payne
dear friends i have an application for pumping system
it consists of 3 parallel pumps having a max head of 8 bars
i have a stainless steel pipe has 8" diameter and sch 10
will this be suitable to be used under this pressure ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi maxx. Sounds like you have an interesting job on your hands! Hopefully you have someone to talk to about these kinds of questions but if not I'll see if I can offer a bit of advise.

In the United States, we would use ASME Piping Code B31.3 for this. In other countries, they have their own codes. The codes have more than just pressure boundary calculations provided. They also provide requirements for the design on everything from flanged joints, mitre bends, constructed T's and similar piping fittings to requirements for inspection, testing, welding and many higher level considerations. The code also provides stress allowable factors for piping depending on material of construction. So rather than say, yes an 8" schedule 10 pipe is good for 8 barg, I'd say take a look at the code that exists in your country and make sure your entire piping system complies with it. It's not simply a matter of selecting a pipe that has sufficient wall thickness for the pressure.

What is stainless steel?

Stainless steel is a type of alloy that contains a minimum of 10.5% chromium and can also contain other elements such as nickel, molybdenum, and titanium. It is known for its resistance to corrosion, heat, and wear, making it a popular choice in various industries including construction, automotive, and medical.

What are the different grades of stainless steel?

There are five main grades of stainless steel: austenitic, ferritic, martensitic, duplex, and precipitation hardening. Each grade has unique properties and is suitable for different applications. For example, austenitic stainless steel is the most commonly used and is known for its high corrosion resistance, while martensitic stainless steel is stronger and more wear-resistant.

How do I choose the right stainless steel grade for my project?

When selecting a stainless steel grade, it is important to consider the environment and conditions it will be exposed to, as well as the required strength, corrosion resistance, and cost. Consulting with a materials engineer or supplier can help you determine the best grade for your specific needs.

What factors should I consider when selecting a stainless steel pipe?

The main factors to consider when selecting a stainless steel pipe are the grade, size, schedule, and shape. The grade will determine the corrosion resistance and strength of the pipe, while the size and schedule will affect its pressure and temperature capabilities. The shape can also impact its appearance and ease of installation.

Can stainless steel pipes be welded?

Yes, stainless steel pipes can be welded using various welding techniques such as TIG, MIG, and stick welding. However, it is important to use the appropriate filler material and follow proper welding procedures to ensure a strong and corrosion-resistant joint. Some grades of stainless steel, such as austenitic, can also be welded without the need for additional filler material.