Questions about super critical boilers

• Thread starter ehilge
  • Start date
In summary: Is it because the supercritical fluid itself is more efficient or is there something else going on?Finally, I was also wondering if supercritical plants are more efficient than sub-critical plants because there is no phase change to suck up energy.
ehilge
I have a couple questions on supercritical boiler systems with reference to pulverized coal power plants.

My first question concerns what exactly a supercritical fluid is. I realize that the phrase 'supercritical' means above the critical point where there is no clear distinction between liquid and gas, or the mixture is homogenous. I think part of my problem is visualizing what exactly such a homogenous fluid is, or how it behaves if that makes any sense. How does something actually transition from sub-critical to supercritical? i.e. to go from liquid to gas, you boil. Is there a process something goes through to become a critical fluid or does it just sort of happen?

Moving on, how does supercritical boiler operation compare to a sub-critical plant? My understanding is that (ideally) the fluid is pressurized above about 22MPa by the feedwater pumps, and remains there until it goes through the turbine. Of course, between those two points we go through the boiler. But in this case, we aren't boiling anything, right? Because there's no phase change to go through. We are just adding heat energy to the supercritical boiler. One of my sticking points is that I have been told supercritical plants use a seperator instead of a steam drum. Of course, a steam drum isn't needed because there's no steam to separate from liquid, there's just this supercritical fluid. So what is the purpose of a seperator if there is nothing to seperate?

Furthermore, is the reason why supercritical plants are more efficient than sub-critical due to the fact that there is no phase change to suck up energy?

Sorry for the long post, but I have some questions here I'd like to clear up. Thanks for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Another question I thought of. I've read that the water in a supercritical system needs to be more pure than that of a subcritical system, why is that?

1. What is a super critical boiler?

A super critical boiler is a type of steam generator that operates at a pressure and temperature above the critical point of water. This allows for more efficient and cleaner combustion, resulting in higher thermal efficiency and lower emissions.

2. How does a super critical boiler work?

A super critical boiler works by heating water in a closed loop system until it reaches a temperature and pressure above the critical point. This creates a single-phase fluid that can carry more heat and produce steam at a higher temperature and pressure, resulting in a more efficient energy conversion process.

3. What are the advantages of a super critical boiler?

The main advantages of a super critical boiler include higher thermal efficiency, lower emissions, and the ability to use a wider range of fuels. It also has a smaller footprint and requires less maintenance compared to traditional boilers.

4. What are the challenges of using a super critical boiler?

Some of the challenges of using a super critical boiler include high initial costs, strict water quality requirements, and the need for advanced control systems. It also requires highly trained personnel to operate and maintain the boiler.

5. How is the efficiency of a super critical boiler measured?

The efficiency of a super critical boiler is typically measured by the amount of heat transferred to the steam divided by the amount of heat input to the boiler. This is known as thermal efficiency and is usually expressed as a percentage.