Quantum mechanics of a particle

In summary: What causes the energy of a particle to be quantized?The energy of a particle is quantized because of the wave-like behavior of matter. According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with 100% accuracy. This uncertainty leads to the quantization of energy levels, meaning that the energy of a particle can only take on certain discrete values. This is because the position and momentum of a particle are related to its wavelength and frequency, and only certain combinations of these values will satisfy the boundary conditions of a particular system. This results in the quantization of energy levels, which can be observed in the energy levels of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.
sarabellum02
I have a couple things I don't understand:

1. Why is it that the more you conifne a particle, the higher its energy is?
2. Why is it that the more nodes there are in the wavefunction the higher the energy is?
3. What causes the energy of a particle to be quantized?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.What do you mean by "conifne a particle"...?If you mean "confine a particle",i have to ask you what do you mean by this...?
2.What are nodes of a wave function...?I've never heard that a function would have nodes...
3.Principles of QM...Essentially the second.

Daniel.

sarabellum02 said:

Are you referring to quarkconfinemnt, then your answer is asymptotic freedom...

2. Why is it that the more nodes there are in the wavefunction the higher the energy is?

Are you referring to nodal planes of orbitals?then your answer is the magnetic quantumnumber...(at least to some extent)

thanks!
Mother Nature

marlon

It's not true that the more you confine something the more energy it has -- what is true is that the more you confine something, the variance in it's momentum will increase.

As for the node thing; I think sarabellum means that in a "particle in a box", the number of nodes refers to the number of points where the wavefunction [itex]\psi(x)=0[/itex]. There is no reason as to why that is -- it's just how the solutions to Schrodinger's equation works out.

And for the third point, as marlon says, that's just how nature is. If energy wasn't quantised, one could ask "Why is energy continuous?" and so on.

Masud.

masudr said:
what is true is that the more you confine something, the variance in it's momentum will increase.

This is not entirely correct. Just look at quarks...

Besides, what exactly do you mean by this and how does it apply to QM?

marlon

sarabellum02 said:
sarabellum probably means, if you make the well smaller, the energies become higher.
Click on this link http://www.quantum-physics.polytechnique.fr/en/pages/p0203.html, and change the width of the well, by dragging the left bottom corner of the well.

sarabellum02 said:
sarabellum probably means for example the harmonic oscillator eigenstates.
The higher the energy, the more zeros (sarabellum calls them nodes) the wavefunction has http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator

I think that's just the result of QM calculations.

sarabellum02 said:
Hmm...as marlon said, it's nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
marlon said:
...how does it apply to QM?

It's the celebrated Uncertainty Principle.

sarabellum02 said:
I think I know what you mean, bur truth is, I'm not sure how exactly to give you a good answer.

sarabellum02 said:
As some mentioned before, nodes are the points where the wavefuncion equals 0 (like the nodes of a vibrating string).
The fact that the more nodes there are, the higher is the energy actually happens with any kind of wave. Again, think in a vibrating string, the stronger you make it vibrate (i.e. the more energy you give to it), the bigger is the number of nodes.
The explanation on why that is so, is pretty much like this: the higher the number of nodes per unit distance, the more oscilations there are, which means the bigger is the wavenumber, and thus the higher is the energy (remember that in the case of the wavefunction, the momentum of the particle it's proportional to the wavenumber).
In fact, in more than one QM problem (I'm not sure if there's a general rule, maybe not), the number of nodes is actually closely related to the quantum number you use for the energy.

sarabellum02 said:
More or less, this comes as a result of Schrödinger equation, energy is quantized whenever there are bound states (i.e. the potential confine the wavefunction to be in a certain place), when that happens, you have to force the wavefunction to be zero at certain point in space (like infinite, or the extremun of a infinite square well) and those boundary conditions can only be met by certain values of the wavenumber (and thus, the energy).
There are good discussions on this point in some standard Quantum Mechanics textbooks, like Eisberg & Resnick and Cohen-Tanoudji.

Thanks for your help everyone!

sarabellum02 said:

The kinetic energy of a wave function comes from:
[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2 \Psi}{dx^2} [/tex]
so it's related to the derivative of the wavefunction. If the wave function wiggles faster, then it has a larger derivative and will have more KE.

sarabellum02 said:

If you're looking at the square well, when you make the well size smaller, the energies get larger. If you look at the ground state wavefunction, making the well size smaller, with the restriction that it has to be zero at the ends and it has to be normalized makes it so the wavefunction has to go to zero faster as it approaches the edges of the well. This makes it so its derivatives are larger, and hence larger kinetic energy.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes how particles behave and interact with each other on a microscopic scale.

2. What is a particle in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a particle is any fundamental unit of matter that can exist and interact at the subatomic level. This includes electrons, protons, neutrons, and other elementary particles.

3. How is the position of a particle described in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the position of a particle is described by its wave function, which gives the probability of finding the particle at a particular location. The position of a particle is not fixed but is described by a probability distribution.

4. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because measuring one property of a particle affects the other property, making it impossible to determine both values with absolute certainty.

5. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles through the wave-particle duality concept, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This allows for phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, which cannot be explained by classical physics.