How soon do we die without mitosis?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: I am an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:In summary, a fast turnover in the human body means that cells differentiate and die very quickly. This can lead to problems such as a lack of oxygen, as well as infection. Side-effects of chemotherapy can be expected due to the fast-dividing cells it targets.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was wondering last night..

The turn-over in the human body is very fast, in the gut the cells differentiate from stem cells and after 2-5 days they are already discarded. Blood cells must have an even faster turnover.

Now I was wondering, if all cells in the body would stop dividing.. how long would it take for the organism -human being- to die, and what would we die of?

Biology news on Phys.org
My bet would be brain damage due to lack of oxygen. The lack of oxygen caused by a shortage of red blood cells. I believe the heart actually destroys some blood cells just by its mechanical activity. A co-worker of mine has a few artificial heart patents, some of which never entered testing due to their high destruction rate of red cells.

Njorl

Good Question.

I think it will take some time or us to die becoz the most essential organs that are required by an organism to be "alive" - like the heart and the brain ( or CNS) are organs the cells of which have an extremely slow rate of turnover. Maybe THAT'S WHY they have evolved to have an extremely slow rate of turnover- for permanence - in their capacity to store information ( neurons) and so that they are more permanent fixtures.Unlike the cells of the skin or the blood.

If mitosis stops happening, an organism, will lose the first barrier against infection - i.e the skin, and also the cells of the imune system. So, it is likely to die of a swarm of infectious diseses.
Maybe infections due to oppurtunistic pathogens like pseudomonas will take hold.

By the way- I am new. I am a biologist and am interested in learning abt physics etc... to better my understanding of living as well as non living matter.
Hi to all.

Pragyan.

Namaste Pragyan, aap kaise hai? Welcome to the forums! I am a biochemist and a great fan of Indian movies/music :)

I was also thinking that an infection due to the lack of white bloodcells would be the main cause.

I think this has already been tested. Some forms of chemotherapy kills fast dividing cells, even non-cancerous ones. Hence, the side-effects of chemotherapy could point the way!

What side-effects can be expected?

Because some chemotherapy targets fast-growing, or fast-dividing cells, it is more likely to harm similar cells in the body.

These include the cells in the hair follicles, which is why cancer treatment is often associated with hair loss, although hair does regrow once treatment has ended.

Other fast-dividing cells can be found in the stomach and bowel lining, which leads to nausea and diarrhoea.

There are, however, drugs which help control this, and timing meals to avoid having a full stomach when the drugs take effect can also help in some cases.

Other types of normal cell that can suffer are the blood cells.

Red cells are important to carry oxygen to keep other cells alive. Other blood cells help stave off infection.

As a result, chemotherapy patients may be more prone to infections, and find them harder to fight off.

Hospitals will take regular blood tests to monitor the levels of different cells. This is called a full blood count.

Generally, patients on chemotherapy can expected to have less energy than usual, or even feel extreme fatigue.

Source

Namaste Monique- well what a coincidence! Even I am very fond of Indian movies and music! http://

Well - it is fun being a part of the forum- I found it interesting since people interact well and promptly... and have intersting things to discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does mitosis affect our lifespan?

Mitosis is the process by which cells divide to create new cells. It is essential for growth and repair of our bodies. Without mitosis, our bodies would not be able to replace damaged or old cells, which would ultimately lead to a shorter lifespan.

2. Can we survive without mitosis?

No, we cannot survive without mitosis. It is a fundamental process that is necessary for the growth, maintenance, and repair of our bodies. Without mitosis, our cells would not be able to divide and replace themselves, resulting in death.

3. How long can a person live without mitosis?

It is difficult to determine an exact timeframe, as it would depend on various factors such as age, health, and environment. However, it is safe to say that without mitosis, a person would not be able to survive for more than a few weeks.

4. Is there any way to delay or prevent the effects of no mitosis?

Currently, there is no known way to delay or prevent the effects of no mitosis. However, advancements in medical technology and research may one day lead to potential solutions.

5. Are there any organisms that do not rely on mitosis for survival?

Yes, there are some organisms such as bacteria and some single-celled organisms that do not rely on mitosis for survival. They have different methods of cell division, such as binary fission, which allows them to reproduce and thrive without mitosis.