Orthographic views - completing missing views?

• Thread starter eterna
  • Start date
In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to project features from different views onto a missing top view, but is having trouble. The student can try to match features of the different projections with each other, or try to model the missing top view.
eterna
Hi, sorry for this very basic question.
I have just started my course and having some trouble on something that's sure to be a required skill as I progress.

About all I can do is block out the depth and width of the top view, and then I just get confused as to actually projecting the features from the side and front views to the missing top view. Does anyone have some resources to share?

Is there a general procedure to approaching these problems?

Attachments

• drawing.png
    drawing.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
mfb said:
The link looks broken.

I posted it as an attachment now.

eterna said:
In general, there is no unique solution to the problem.
You can try to match features of the different projections with each other, and get a 3-dimensional model of the relevant surfaces.

If you want to get good with projections, play around with a solid modeling program. Buy a student edition of solidworks, Creo, Inventor, etc. They are usually cheap ($100) if not free. You can model simple geometries and then go to the drawing sheets to check out 3rd angle projections.

If you're a student, try getting some free student software at http://students.autodesk.com. Autodesk likes getting students hooked on their products.

eterna said:

I think some people are inherently better at this than others but you really don't need anything other than a pencil and paper to practice this stuff.

The way I worked these out was to sketch an isometric based off the the right and front views. I'm thinking that's what your textbook wants you to do. As you sketch the isometric, you'll start to see the the top view in your head. The hidden line in your example is the main attraction.

It's the opposite approach of deconstructing an iso into an ortho.

The more you practice, the better you get. FWIW, realize that the part in your example can be machined with only the front and right view. If it couldn't, you wouldn't be able to draw the top view, so keep that in mind and keep drawing. You'll get the feel for it.

What is an orthographic view?

An orthographic view is a 2D representation of a 3D object, typically used in technical drawings and engineering. It shows the object from multiple angles, allowing for a comprehensive understanding of its shape and dimensions.

Why are orthographic views important?

Orthographic views are important because they provide a clear and accurate representation of an object's shape and dimensions. This is essential in fields such as engineering and architecture, where precise measurements and details are crucial.

How do you create orthographic views?

To create orthographic views, you must first have a 3D model of the object. Then, using specialized software or manual techniques, you can project the different views onto a 2D plane. This includes views such as front, top, side, and isometric views.

What is the purpose of completing missing views in orthographic drawings?

The purpose of completing missing views in orthographic drawings is to provide a complete and accurate representation of the object. Sometimes, certain views may not be shown in the initial drawing, so completing them ensures that all necessary information is included.

What are some common methods for completing missing views in orthographic drawings?

There are several methods for completing missing views in orthographic drawings, including using auxiliary views, section views, and revolved views. These techniques involve projecting additional views from different angles or cutting through the object to reveal hidden details.