Why do all particles have a wavelength?

In summary: The equation that DeBroglie derived is E=mc2, which is the energy of a particle (photon) multiplied by the speed of light. Since photons have no mass, this equation tells us how much energy a particle has.
waterliyl
So for my AS specification I need to know how to use the debroile wavelength equation which is fair enough and easy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why do all particles have a wavelength or wave function? Or even like a tennis ball?

Thanks,

PS: I know it's a weird question, sorry!

Physics news on Phys.org
waterliyl said:
So for my AS specification I need to know how to use the debroile wavelength equation which is fair enough and easy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why do all particles have a wavelength or wave function? Or even like a tennis ball?

Thanks,

PS: I know it's a weird question, sorry!

Its not a silly question, but the answer probably isn't helpful either. All particles can be viewed as having a wave nature and as a consequence all things made of particles can be viewed as having a wave nature. This is the basis for Quantum Mechanics.

We can't explain why only that it is a testable fact of nature.

Do you know how DeBroglie came up with his equation?...it is so simple but brilliant.
He knew that E = mc2 gave the energy equivalent of a particle and that E = hf = hc/λ gave the energy of a wave (photon) By equating these 2 equations he came up with the relationship mc = h/λ or momentum = h/λ. This gave the link between waves and particles that has been confirmed for all particles.

Emilyjoint said:
Do you know how DeBroglie came up with his equation?...it is so simple but brilliant.
He knew that E = mc2 gave the energy equivalent of a particle and that E = hf = hc/λ gave the energy of a wave (photon) By equating these 2 equations he came up with the relationship mc = h/λ or momentum = h/λ. This gave the link between waves and particles that has been confirmed for all particles.

I think it was his PhD thesis paper and it was one page long. They almost didn't want to give him the degree.

the original eqn which De-broglie took was E=[m^2c^4 +(pc)^2]^1/2.
He assumed m=0(i.e for photon),
What my ques is that , if he derived the equation for a photon ,than how can we apply this theory to any particle.

abhi1234 said:
the original eqn which De-broglie took was E=[m^2c^4 +(pc)^2]^1/2.
He assumed m=0(i.e for photon),
What my ques is that , if he derived the equation for a photon ,than how can we apply this theory to any particle.

By not setting m=0

jedishrfu said:
I think it was his PhD thesis paper and it was one page long. They almost didn't want to give him the degree.
The typeset version I have is 109 pages long. Indeed, the evaluators (including Langevin) weren't sure what to make of it and passed on a copy to Einstein, who was positive about the work.

1. What is the Debroglie wavelength equation?

The Debroglie wavelength equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that relates the wavelength of a particle to its momentum. It is given by λ = h/p, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle.

2. What is the significance of the Debroglie wavelength equation?

The Debroglie wavelength equation is significant because it demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter, meaning that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. It also provides a way to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level, which is essential in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

3. How is the Debroglie wavelength equation used in experiments?

The Debroglie wavelength equation is used in experiments involving particles, such as electrons and protons. It allows scientists to calculate the wavelength of these particles, which can then be verified through experiments like diffraction or interference patterns. This equation also helps in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. Can the Debroglie wavelength equation be applied to macroscopic objects?

The Debroglie wavelength equation is typically used for particles at the atomic or subatomic level. However, in theory, it can be applied to macroscopic objects as well. However, the wavelength for macroscopic objects would be incredibly small and therefore challenging to measure.

5. What are the limitations of the Debroglie wavelength equation?

The Debroglie wavelength equation is only applicable to particles with mass and momentum, meaning that it cannot be used for photons or massless particles. It also does not take into account other factors, such as spin and angular momentum, which may affect the behavior of particles at the quantum level.