Full Rundown of Light as a Quantum

In summary, the conversation revolves around a request for information on the quantum nature of light and its behavior over time. The speaker needs this information for a paper but is struggling to find useful resources through Google. The respondent suggests starting with a modern physics book for college introductory courses and mentions a graduate-level text as a potential resource. However, they also mention the need for more specific information about the speaker's background and education level.
42Physics
If I could get anything and everything you guys know about light being quantum or the behavior of light with time. I need everything, doing a huge paper and I need some useful information. Google just turns up trolls.

Physics news on Phys.org
42Physics said:
If I could get anything and everything you guys know about light being quantum or the behavior of light with time. I need everything, doing a huge paper and I need some useful information. Google just turns up trolls.
It might help if you give us some information about your background and level of physics education.

(I could mention the "bible" of quantum optics by Mandel & Wolf:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521417112/?tag=pfamazon01-20
but that's a graduate-level text.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Photons are elementary excitations of quantized modes of the electromagnetic field. If that didn't mean anything to you, you need to start with any modern physics book meant for the college introductory physics sequence.

You're going to have to do better than "please summarize a book or two for me".

He's an 8th grader according to himself.

1. What is light as a quantum?

Light as a quantum refers to the understanding of light as both a wave and a particle. This concept is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

2. How is light as a quantum different from classical physics?

In classical physics, light is described solely as a wave. However, in quantum mechanics, light is also considered to behave as a particle, known as a photon. This dual nature of light is what sets it apart from classical physics.

3. How does light behave as a wave and a particle at the same time?

This concept of wave-particle duality can be difficult to grasp, but it is essentially due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics. Light can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors depending on the experimental setup, but it is impossible to predict which behavior will be observed.

4. What are some applications of understanding light as a quantum?

Understanding light as a quantum has led to many important advancements in technology, such as the development of lasers, solar cells, and fiber optics. It has also allowed for a deeper understanding of the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level.

5. How does the study of light as a quantum impact other fields of science?

The principles of quantum mechanics, including the understanding of light as a quantum, have had a significant impact on many other fields of science, such as chemistry, biology, and material science. It has also led to the development of new technologies and continues to shape our understanding of the universe.