About the Lie algebra of our Lorentz group

In summary, the conversation discusses the correspondence between Lorentz transformations and SL(2,C) transformations on 2-spinor, as well as the use of abstract operators in satisfying certain commutation relations. There is also confusion about the dimensions and compactness of the Lorentz group and how it can be factored into SU(2)×SU(2). The use of complexified Lie algebra is mentioned as a way to go from one set of generators to the other. The speaker acknowledges being a bit under the level of the book and plans to come back with future confusions.
Kontilera
Hello!

I'm currently reading Ryder - Quantum Field Theory and am a bit confused about his discussion on the correpsondence between Lorentz transformations and SL(2,C) transformations on 2-spinor.
He writes that the Lie algebra of Lorentz transformations can be satisfied by setting
[tex]\vec{K} =\pm \frac{i \vec{\sigma}}{2}. [/tex]
Here it seems as if the dimensions are mixed up. The Pauli matrices are 2 times 2 while the Loretnz generators are 4 times 4.

Secondly he argues that the Lorentzgroup can be ''factorized'' into [tex]SU(2) \times SU(2)[/tex] but how come this goes along with the fact that the Loretnz group is non-compact.
It seems as if we take the product group of two compact group the resulting group is compact?
Am I wrong about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here it seems as if the dimensions are mixed up. The Pauli matrices are 2 times 2 while the Loretnz generators are 4 times 4.
He means K and σ as abstract operators which satisfy a certain set of commutation relations, not a particular matrix representation of those operators.
Secondly he argues that the Lorentzgroup can be ''factorized'' into SU(2)×SU(2) but how come this goes along with the fact that the Loretnz group is non-compact.
To go from one set of generators to the other you have to consider the complexified Lie algebra, A = (J + i K)/2 and B = (J − i K)/2. This does not preserve group compactness.

Ah cool!
Maybe I'm a bit under the level that this book is written on.. I come back with future confusions. :)
Thanks Bill!

1. What is the Lie algebra of our Lorentz group?

The Lie algebra of our Lorentz group is a mathematical structure that describes the infinitesimal transformations of the Lorentz group. It is a vector space that consists of all possible generators of the group, which can be thought of as the building blocks of the group's transformations.

2. How is the Lie algebra of our Lorentz group related to the special theory of relativity?

The Lie algebra of the Lorentz group is intimately related to the special theory of relativity as it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the symmetries and transformations inherent in the theory. It allows us to describe how quantities such as space and time are affected by changes of reference frame and how these transformations behave.

3. What are the basic properties of the Lie algebra of our Lorentz group?

The Lie algebra of our Lorentz group has several important properties, including being a vector space, having a basis of infinitesimal generators, and satisfying the Jacobi identity. It also has a specific commutation relation between its generators, known as the Lorentz algebra, which captures the symmetries of the Lorentz group.

4. How is the Lie algebra of our Lorentz group used in physics?

The Lie algebra of our Lorentz group is used extensively in theoretical physics, particularly in the fields of relativity and quantum mechanics. It provides a powerful tool for understanding and describing the symmetries and transformations of physical systems, and is essential for formulating theories such as the standard model of particle physics.

5. Can the Lie algebra of our Lorentz group be extended to other groups?

Yes, the Lie algebra of our Lorentz group can be extended to other groups, such as the Poincaré group, which includes translations in addition to Lorentz transformations. This extended algebra, known as the Poincaré algebra, is a fundamental cornerstone of modern physics and is used in a wide range of applications, from quantum field theory to cosmology.