Can a Silver Oxide Coating Start a Fire with Sunlight?

In summary, this black coating on the end of a digital camera allows infra-red light to go through it, but blocks visible light.
SAZAR
I've seen those filters for cameras (etc.) which look black (because they don't pass almost no visible light), but they allow infrared light to go right thorough it.

What is it made of? (i tried to find out on my own using google; I tried to find out what elements absorb what wavelenghts, but I couldn't find it...)

What substance does that (passes whatever and infra-red, BUT NOT visible light)? Can some of substances commonly found in household or wherever do that?

?How to improvise?

Physics news on Phys.org
The black bits on the end of an exposed and processed photographic film work pretty well in the manner you've described!

A few weeks ago I saw a guy who had replaced the filters in his digital camera (rubbish webcam) with a few pieces of exposed (black) photographic film, he got some really eerie images with it, especially when he used a TV remote control as a torch to illuminate his subjects!

Wow. OK
I'll try it (...and come to tink of it that I have had it handy all the time...).
I'd never have thought of it.

(...but I was experimenting with black marker and find out that it works very well indeed - I painted a piece of transparent plastic with it - both sides, and multiple times, so you can't see, not even a white wall with sunlight shining directly - right upon it, but camera sees right thorough it (black and white)).

Nevertheless - what molecules have that exact properties (wavelenght absorption of visible light and reflection or passing of the infra-red).

ONE EXPERIMENT: If you paint a magnifying lense with such a coating, would you be able to burn with it when you focuse a sun light? Or, on the other hand - if you would paint a concave miror could you start a fire with it? (as I understand almost 50% of sunlight is in infrared spectrum)

SAZAR said:
Wow. OK

Nevertheless - what molecules have that exact properties (wavelenght absorption of visible light and reflection or passing of the infra-red).

While this could be accomplished with series of molecules (say porphyrins), it is most easily done with semiconductors. A semiconductor absorbs "all" light with energy above the bandgap. And in fact silver oxide (from the over exposed film referred to above) is a semiconductor (Ebg=1.1 eV or 1127 nm). So "all" visible light will be absorbed by it while the near ir will be transmitted (well most of it imho nir starts ~750 nm).

SAZAR said:
Wow. OK

ONE EXPERIMENT: If you paint a magnifying lense with such a coating, would you be able to burn with it when you focuse a sun light? Or, on the other hand - if you would paint a concave miror could you start a fire with it? (as I understand almost 50% of sunlight is in infrared spectrum)

The solar spectrum is shown below (AM0). You can see that with a filter such as silver oxide you would loose ~75 % of the total energy available (e.g. you're not going to be toasting bugs with that magnifying glass).

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 504

What is the process of absorbing visible light?

The process of absorbing visible light involves the absorption of photons by atoms or molecules. When a photon of visible light strikes an atom or molecule, it can excite an electron to a higher energy level. This absorption causes the visible light to be converted into heat or other forms of energy.

Why do objects appear different colors?

Objects appear different colors because they absorb certain wavelengths of visible light while reflecting others. The color we perceive depends on the wavelengths of light that are reflected back to our eyes. For example, an object appears red because it absorbs all other colors of visible light except for red, which is reflected back to our eyes.

What factors affect an object's ability to absorb visible light?

The ability of an object to absorb visible light is affected by several factors, including the object's color, texture, and surface material. Objects that are darker in color tend to absorb more visible light than lighter colored objects. Rough and textured surfaces also tend to absorb more light than smooth surfaces. Additionally, the type of material an object is made of can affect its ability to absorb visible light.

How does the absorption of visible light impact photosynthesis?

Photosynthesis is a process in which plants, algae, and some bacteria convert light energy into chemical energy. This process involves the absorption of visible light by pigments, such as chlorophyll, found in these organisms. The absorbed light energy is then used to power the chemical reactions that produce glucose and oxygen.

What is the relationship between the color of an object and its ability to absorb visible light?

The color of an object is closely related to its ability to absorb visible light. As mentioned earlier, objects appear a certain color because they absorb all other colors of visible light except for the color they appear. This means that darker colored objects, such as black, absorb more visible light than lighter colored objects, such as white. The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light it reflects, which are the wavelengths it does not absorb.