Process Engineering - Multiple Evaporators

In summary, the problem involves four evaporators in series, where sugar solution is boiled to produce a concentrated solution and saturated steam is used to heat the subsequent evaporators. To solve the problem, basic principles of evaporation, mass balance, and energy balance must be used. Appropriate equations and data, such as the steam tables and heat transfer equation, can also aid in finding a solution.
nobodyuknow

Homework Statement

Here's a quick sketch of the problem: http://prntscr.com/15ltr5

Essentially, Sugar Solution enters the first evaporator at 65°C and the water is boiled (to 100°C) so that a sugar concentrate comes out (bottom of evaporator) and saturated steam leaves the evaporator through the top and heats the next evaporator. This process continues for the remaining 2 evaporators.

Therefore, in order for the saturated steam to boil the sucrose solution in the next evaporator, energy is lost thus, more heat is required, OR, a drop in pressure is necessary. This is my understanding of information given to me... here's the original: http://prntscr.com/15lub4

I'm suppose to calculate:
Amount of sugar concentration leaving each of the evaporators also...

What is the reduction in steam usage per kg of total water evaporated for the four evaporators in series
compared to one evaporator ?

Homework Equations

Really no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought you could use Guy Lussac's Law, however, I'm not too sure about this.
P1/T1 = P2/T2
Thus, 1 atm, 0.65atm, 0.4225atm and 0.274625atm, this logic however, seems massively flawed.

I'm seriously stumped!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I would like to provide you with some guidance and suggestions for solving this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the basic principles behind the evaporation process. Evaporation is a process in which a liquid is converted into its gaseous state. In the case of sugar solution, the process involves boiling the water in the solution, which leaves behind a concentrated sugar solution. This is achieved by heating the solution and creating a pressure difference between the liquid and the surrounding atmosphere.

In your problem, you have four evaporators in series, which means that the saturated steam from the first evaporator is used to heat the second evaporator, and so on. This process requires a continuous supply of steam and a decrease in pressure in each subsequent evaporator. This decrease in pressure allows the steam to boil the sugar solution in each evaporator.

To calculate the amount of sugar concentration leaving each evaporator, you need to consider the concentration of the sugar solution entering the first evaporator and the amount of water evaporated in each subsequent evaporator. You can use the principle of mass balance to calculate the concentration of sugar in each evaporator.

As for the reduction in steam usage per kg of total water evaporated, you can use the principle of energy balance to calculate the energy required for evaporation in each evaporator. This will give you an idea of the amount of steam needed for each evaporator and how it compares to using a single evaporator.

In terms of equations, you can use the steam tables to determine the properties of steam at different pressures and temperatures. You can also use the heat transfer equation to calculate the energy required for evaporation.

I hope this helps you in solving your problem. Remember to always understand the basic principles and use appropriate equations and data to come up with a solution. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of using multiple evaporators in process engineering?

The purpose of using multiple evaporators in process engineering is to increase the efficiency of the evaporation process. By using multiple evaporators, the overall heat transfer area is increased, allowing for a higher evaporation rate and a more concentrated final product.

2. How do multiple evaporators differ from single evaporators?

Multiple evaporators differ from single evaporators in that they have multiple stages, with each stage having its own heat exchanger. This allows for a higher evaporation rate and greater heat transfer efficiency.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a system with multiple evaporators?

When designing a system with multiple evaporators, factors such as the type of product being processed, the required evaporation rate, available space, and energy efficiency should be considered. Additionally, the number of evaporators and their arrangement should also be carefully planned to ensure optimal performance.

4. How are the evaporators connected in a multiple evaporator system?

In a multiple evaporator system, the evaporators are connected in series, meaning that the vapor from the first evaporator is used as the heating medium for the second evaporator, and so on. This allows for a more efficient use of energy and reduces the overall energy consumption of the system.

5. What are the advantages of using multiple evaporators in process engineering?

The main advantages of using multiple evaporators in process engineering include higher evaporation rates, increased efficiency, and a more concentrated final product. Additionally, multiple evaporators can also reduce energy consumption and can be designed to handle a wide range of products and process conditions.