Un-Hovering Firefox's "Bookmark and Share" Button

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, Some users have noticed that the "Bookmark and Share" button on Firefox can become stuck and not close after the mouse is moved away from it. This seems to happen more often after the browser has been idle for some time. There are suggestions to remove the hover function or to make it so that the "share" option only activates after being clicked.
I'm out of town for a few weeks so I'm unable to work in it

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm out of town for a few weeks so I'm unable to work in it

Well, damn. Who said you could go out of town ? :tongue:

phinds said:
Well, damn. Who said you could go out of town ? :tongue:

Meanwhile you can use something like Ghostery/Disconnect and adblock plus.

I'm using Firefox 24.0 and I cannot duplicate the problem. If you're using Firefox and NoScript you can just forbid addthis.com and the dropdown will not work.

TurtleMeister said:
I'm using Firefox 24.0 and I cannot duplicate the problem. If you're using Firefox and NoScript you can just forbid addthis.com and the dropdown will not work.

To add to this: You can also use a similar extension for chrome named "Notscripts".

TurtleMeister said:

I'm also using Firefox 24.0 and I get it ALL THE TIME and it is obnoxious.

It's still happening for me in chrome.

TurtleMeister said:
If you're using Firefox and NoScript you can just forbid addthis.com and the dropdown will not work.

Thank you for that! Problem solved, at least on my system.

For Chrome, you can use Adblock to make it completely disappear. I guess Firefox too has the Adblock plugin available.

It's such a nuisance.

Evo said:
It's such a nuisance.

Evo, you're so gentle. Let me restate that:

It's such a *&$^#% nuisance

Really, Greg, isn't there anything you can do about it? If you're still out of town, please make it a priority when you get back. I know you can blow off a rant by someone as obnoxious as me, but when you get complaints from someone as nice as Evo, you know you've got a problem.

Pranav-Arora said:
For Chrome, you can use Adblock to make it completely disappear. I guess Firefox too has the Adblock plugin available.
Just to confirm Pranav-Arora's guess: I'm using Firefox with AdBlock, and this solution works perfectly for me.

I really think all these suggestions for how to get rid of the problem by installing more software are helpful but they miss the point. I don't WANT to install more software and the problem is in the forum's actions, not in my browser.

Blocking s7.addthis.com does not need additional software. And it is less annoying than the hover-over.

mfb said:
Blocking s7.addthis.com does not need additional software. And it is less annoying than the hover-over.
Yes, but what if one day I do want to share a thread on facebook or twitter or whatever these kids do these days? If I block the s7.addthis.com the whole share button is removed and I can't share anything. (And trust me, I'll totally forget how to go about unblocking it if the time comes.)

The ideal solution is keep the share button there, but not have it occasionally stick open when the mouse accidentally passes by it.

collinsmark said:
The ideal solution is keep the share button there, but not have it occasionally stick open when the mouse accidentally passes by it.
Maybe make it a good old-fashioned button that you have to click if you want it to do something, instead of auto-opening a menu whenever the mouse strays near...

jbunniii said:
Maybe make it a good old-fashioned button that you have to click if you want it to do something, instead of auto-opening a menu whenever the mouse strays near...
That's a great idea.

Evo said:
That's a great idea.

Yes it is. As it was over a month ago when I first proposed it. :smile:

Sort of like obamacare?