Fierz Identity Substitution Into QED Lagrangian

In summary: Is everything I've done mathematically allowed? How about physically allowed? If the two representations of psibar*psi are equivalent, shouldn't they give back the same equations of motion?In summary, the conversation discusses spin 1/2 Lagrangians and Fierz identities. It is mentioned that by expanding both sides of the equation into spinor components, we will find exactly the same combination on the left side as on the right, showing the mathematical validity of Fierz identities. The use of Fierz identities in the Dirac Lagrangian for psibar*psi is discussed, which leads to the same equations of motion. It is also mentioned that dividing by psibar*psi is a legitimate process in ordinary quantum
welcomeblack
Hi all, I've been playing around with spin 1/2 Lagrangians, and found the very interesting
Fierz identities. In particular for the S x S product,

[itex]

(\bar{\chi}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\chi)=\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\chi} \chi)(\bar{\psi} \psi)+\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\chi}\gamma^{\mu}\chi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu} \psi)-\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\chi}\sigma^{\mu\nu}\chi)(\bar{\psi}\sigma_{\mu\nu} \psi)-\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\chi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\chi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{5} \psi)+\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\chi}\gamma^{5}\chi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{5} \psi)

[/itex]

I assume this is valid for any spinors chi and psi. If I then set chi equal to psi,

[itex]

(\bar{\psi}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\psi)=\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\psi} \psi)(\bar{\psi} \psi)+\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu} \psi)-\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\psi}\sigma^{\mu\nu}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\sigma_{\mu\nu} \psi)-\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{5} \psi)+\frac{1}{4}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{5}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{5} \psi)

[/itex]

Since adjoint*spinor is a scalar, I can divide by psibar*psi and rearrange to get

[itex]

\bar{\psi}\psi=\frac{1}{\bar{\psi}\psi}[\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu} \psi)-\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\sigma^{\mu\nu}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\sigma_{\mu\nu} \psi)-\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{5} \psi)+\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{5}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{5} \psi)]

[/itex]

Plugging this into the Dirac Lagrangian,

[itex]

\mathcal{L}=i\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi - m\bar{\psi}{\psi} \\

\mathcal{L}=i\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\psi - \frac{m}{\bar{\psi}\psi}[\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu} \psi)-\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\sigma^{\mu\nu}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\sigma_{\mu\nu} \psi)-\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{5} \psi)+\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{5}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\gamma_{5} \psi)]

[/itex]

Is everything I've done mathematically allowed? How about physically allowed? If the two representations of psibar*psi are equivalent, shouldn't they give back the same equations of motion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A Fierz identity is a mathematical identity. It means that if we expand both sides of the equation into spinor components, we will find exactly the same combination on the left side as we do on the right. So if you were to expand this transformed Lagrangian in terms of the spinor components, you would find that it was the same as the original one, leading to the same equations of motion.

Now dividing by ##\bar{\psi}{\psi}## is a legitimate process if we are talking about ordinary QM of spinors whose components are wavefunctions. The multiplicative inverse of a c-function exists whenever the function is nonzero. If ##\psi## is considered as a quantum field, then you should consider it as an operator and will need to use some formal definition of division in terms of an inverse operator, which won't always exist.

For one thing you should care for how those spinors are distinguished.You should put a subscript for example to do it.Then you will have (ψ4-ψ3)(ψ2-ψ1).you apply fierz reshuffling now to make linear combinations in terms of Ci4-(γ's)ψ1)(ψ2-(y's)ψ3) etc.But you should not use it when 1=2=3=4,because it's trivial and equal to the original one.So you will not get changed anything.

Okay so the spinor components on the LHS are the same as those on the RHS. Avoiding any spinor division (since fzero says it isn't generally well defined), if we take the partial of (psibar*psi)(psibar*psi) with respect to psibar, we get from the LHS

[itex]

\frac{\partial}{\partial\bar{\psi}} (\bar{\psi}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\psi)=2(\bar{\psi}\psi)\psi

[/itex]

and from the RHS

[itex]

\frac{\partial}{\partial\bar{\psi}} (\bar{\psi}\psi)(\bar{\psi}\psi)=\frac{2}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi)\gamma_{\mu}\psi-\frac{2}{3}(\bar{\psi}\sigma^{\mu\nu}\psi)\sigma_{\mu\nu}\psi-\frac{2}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi)\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{5}\psi+\frac{2}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{5}\psi)\gamma_{5}\psi

[/itex]

Both LHS and RHS can be interpreted as some operator acting on the spinor psi. Since both sides are equal, the operators themselves must be equal, so

[itex]

\bar{\psi}\psi=\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi)\gamma_{\mu}-\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\sigma^{\mu\nu}\psi)\sigma_{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{5}\psi)\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{5}+\frac{1}{3}(\bar{\psi}\gamma^{5}\psi)\gamma_{5}

[/itex]

If I plug this into the Dirac Lagrangian for psibar*psi, then use the Euler-Lagrange equations for psi or psibar, the equations of motion reduce down to the usual ones. Woo! That's what I'd hoped for (ish).

Thanks guys for indulging me in my hobby QFT meanderings.

1. What is the Fierz identity substitution into QED Lagrangian?

The Fierz identity is a mathematical identity that allows for the exchange of two Dirac spinors in a QED Lagrangian. It is used to simplify calculations and to prove the equivalence of different formulations of the same theory.

2. Why is the Fierz identity important in QED?

The Fierz identity is important in QED because it allows for the simplification of calculations and the proof of equivalence between different formulations of the theory. This makes it a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing quantum electrodynamics.

3. How is the Fierz identity applied in QED calculations?

The Fierz identity is applied by substituting two Dirac spinors in a QED Lagrangian with their equivalent form using the Fierz identity. This simplifies the calculation and allows for easier manipulation of the equations.

4. Can the Fierz identity be used in other theories besides QED?

Yes, the Fierz identity can be applied in other theories besides QED. It is a general mathematical identity that is used in various fields of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics.

5. What are the benefits of using the Fierz identity in QED?

The main benefit of using the Fierz identity in QED is that it simplifies calculations and allows for easier manipulation of equations. Additionally, it can be used to demonstrate the equivalence of different formulations of the theory, which helps to deepen our understanding of quantum electrodynamics.