How can the US reduce credit card fraud rates by adopting the EMV standard?

• Thread starter rude man
  • Start date
In summary: No, I did not know that. Thank you for informing me.In summary, the conversation discusses a new advertisement format that is somewhat intrusive and the possibility of setting up a choice between ads or payment on PF. There is also a discussion about a potential issue with the browser and a member's experience with ads while being a gold member. The conversation then shifts to the topic of upgrading from XP to Windows 7 and the advantages and limitations of different versions. The conversation also touches on the use of outdated software and the option of using a floppy disk drive to read old files. The conversation ends with a member expressing their concern about their credit card number being stolen and the potential for hackers to have stolen all credit card PIN numbers.
rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The new advertisement format is somewhat intrusive.

A lot of software gives you a choice of either ads or payment - could something like that be set up on PF?

Or is my browser on the blink again? I don't see any flags for new and zero-response posts any more i n thehomework forums either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you screenshot what you are seeing? I haven't changed anything in months. Furthermore, being a gold member you shouldn't see any ads.

Never mind, Greg, it seems OK now. My IE8 has got to go I guess .. can't get IE9, still using XP ...

thanks for the quick response.

rudy

rude man said:
Never mind, Greg, it seems OK now. My IE8 has got to go I guess .. can't get IE9, still using XP ...

thanks for the quick response.

rudy

Chrome and FF would be good choices :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Chrome and FF would be good choices :)

Yeah, am thinking FF since uSoft is dumping XP ... but thanks to your observation I concluded that what I saw was when I was not signed in.

thanx again,

rudy

rude man said:
Y... am thinking FF since uSoft is dumping XP ...

If you decide to upgrade your operating system, get the Professional version of Windows 7, as it supports 16 bit software in Windows XP mode via a Virtual PC. This is the only Windows 7 version that will run the old XP stuff. It's like having two PCs in one. :approve:

Likes 1 person
I'm still a big fan of Win7 pro. It works. Of course, I'm prejudiced since that is what I use.

dlgoff said:
If you decide to upgrade your operating system, get the Professional version of Windows 7, as it supports 16 bit software in Windows XP mode via a Virtual PC. This is the only Windows 7 version that will run the old XP stuff. It's like having two PCs in one. :approve:

Would you think it advisable to upgrade my ancient XP machine (35 gig hard drive, 2 gig RAM) to windows 7 pro?

(I have a funny feeling you're cracking up about now, but ...).

rude man said:
Would you think it advisable to upgrade my ancient XP machine (35 gig hard drive, 2 gig RAM) to windows 7 pro?

(I have a funny feeling you're cracking up about now, but ...).

Actually, kicking myself in butt. :redface:

Chronos said:
I'm still a big fan of Win7 pro. It works. Of course, I'm prejudiced since that is what I use.
You've been a member here long enough to be trusted knowing what's good. :thumbs:

rude man said:

No.

Seriously, anything below 4 GB will make you cry.

Actually if I were you I would look for additional used 2 GB on eBay or some place like that. If the machine is so old it will be just a few bucks, and you will most likely find it much, much faster, after upgrade.

Borek said:
No.

Seriously, anything below 4 GB will make you cry.

Actually if I were you I would look for additional used 2 GB on eBay or some place like that. If the machine is so old it will be just a few bucks, and you will most likely find it much, much faster, after upgrade.

I believe you! Unfortunately, I am max'ed out at 2 Gb! Sounds like a new pc is in the offing, doesn't it.

@dlgoff, Thanks again for the advice on W7 pro. I have software dating back to the DOS days that I still use, like the math package Derive. That was their last version with a paper manual. I refused to update to the W version when all they gave you was on-line help.

And, per Kurt Vonnegut, so it goes ...

rude man said:
@dlgoff, Thanks again for the advice on W7 pro. I have software dating back to the DOS days that I still use, like the math package Derive. That was their last version with a paper manual.

Okay. So you probably have a bunch of 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disks. You won't find floppy drives in today's machines but for $20 you can still read them with these (what I used) http://www.sabrent.com/category/accesories/SBT-UFDB/. You can Buy from Walmart.

I refused to update to the W version when all they gave you was on-line help.

And, per Kurt Vonnegut, so it goes ...

I said the same thing until I got my Windows 7 Dell. Out of the hundreds of floppies I have, I only needed the drive for 3 or 4 programs (<10 disk). Then I put my 16 bit machine on the stack with all my other outdated computers. :uhh:

So OP, what are you seeing?

Every link I click on PF (and just PF) opens a new page to "Jobs.com" or "FreeOnlineFinder.com," every single time. Do I have a virus or something? My credit card number was also recently stolen, could this be a relation?

I am using Firefox.

EDIT: I lied, it just happened on Youtube.

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
My credit card number was also recently stolen

Did you know hackers stole all credit cards PIN code numbers in the world?

http://pastebin.com/2qbRKh3R

dlgoff said:
Okay. So you probably have a bunch of 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disks. You won't find floppy drives in today's machines but for $20 you can still read them with these (what I used) http://www.sabrent.com/category/accesories/SBT-UFDB/. You can Buy from Walmart.

Thanks for the tip. Apparently I can just transfer the floppies to thumb drives. That definitely worked for DOS Derive already & the others I don't care too much about anyway. Most of the rest are on CD's, thank goodness.
I said the same thing until I got my Windows 7 Dell. Out of the hundreds of floppies I have, I only needed the drive for 3 or 4 programs (<10 disk). Then I put my 16 bit machine on the stack with all my other outdated computers. :uhh:

Borek said:
Did you know hackers stole all credit cards PIN code numbers in the world?

http://pastebin.com/2qbRKh3R

Do cc's have PINs? I thought that was just for bank (check) cards.

rude man said:
Do cc's have PINs? I thought that was just for bank (check) cards.

When I use my CC I am confirming the transaction keying my PIN code into the terminal (unless I am using it as a wireless).

Must be different there than here. If I hand in a cc I just sign paper or some electronic signing device. I need a PIN if and only if I use my bank card.

rude man said:
Must be different there than here. If I hand in a cc I just sign paper or some electronic signing device. I need a PIN if and only if I use my bank card.

I don't remember when I was asked to sign a paper last time, but that was eons ago.

Borek said:
I don't remember when I was asked to sign a paper last time, but that was eons ago.

Very interesting. You sure you don't mean bank cards? That's the kind where the money is withdrawn from your account immediately. Credit cards are delayed-payment things.

What part of the world do you live in? (Phoenix AZ here).

Warsaw, Poland (so a different continent).

Yes, I am sure I mean CC. I have bank cards as well, and they use PINs as well.

I am using VISA cards, they are much more popular here than American Express. But from what I know there are many different solutions, even within one system. At some point I tried to understand differences between credit cards issued here by different banks and I failed. Technically identical cards issued by different banks can or can not be used for identical operations in different places. At some gas station in Scandinavia (it was either in Finland or in Norway, I can't remember) we had to try three different cards before we were able to pay. Funny thing was credit cards didn't work, but the debit card - one that we were told before the trip that it will be useless - worked.

Borek said:
Warsaw, Poland (so a different continent).

Yes, I am sure I mean CC. I have bank cards as well, and they use PINs as well.

I am using VISA cards, they are much more popular here than American Express. But from what I know there are many different solutions, even within one system. At some point I tried to understand differences between credit cards issued here by different banks and I failed. Technically identical cards issued by different banks can or can not be used for identical operations in different places. At some gas station in Scandinavia (it was either in Finland or in Norway, I can't remember) we had to try three different cards before we were able to pay. Funny thing was credit cards didn't work, but the debit card - one that we were told before the trip that it will be useless - worked.

Ah, OK, tha must be the difference. I have several Polish friends here & will make further inquiries.

I also use VISA exclusively. I avoid Amex since their catalog includes furs and I am opposed to the mistreatment of animals. Plus they have a seedy record anyway. I had no problems using my VISA cc in Greece and other European venues.

PS how come your English is so flawless? :bugeye:

rude man said:

No idea. Osmosis perhaps.

rude man said:
(Phoenix AZ here).

The USA seems to be lagging the rest of the world in card security. All debit and credit cards in the UK have had chip-and pin (not just the easy-to-copy magnetic stripes) for years now.

Most e-commerce websites in the UK also go through a security check window from the card supplier, displaying content that has been personalized by the card holder (so you know the check is genuine) and a separate password check.

Most UK banking websites use a credit-card-sized security code generator as well, so you can't do anything without having the physical security card, as well as the account details and passwords.

If I buy anything direct from the US, I usually get suspicious of the lack of any security checks!

rude man said:
PS how come your English is so flawless?

Like Joseph Conrad's?

rude man said:

Because Borek is awesome. If (when?) aliens land on Earth, I elect we send Borek to figure out how to talk with them.

lisab said:
Because Borek is awesome.
Took the words right out of my keyboard.

AlephZero said:
The USA seems to be lagging the rest of the world in card security. All debit and credit cards in the UK have had chip-and pin (not just the easy-to-copy magnetic stripes) for years now.

My understanding, such as it is, is that the US banks have decided for now that it is cheaper to eat the losses generated from lax security than to pay for the full-scale transition to the chip-and pin cards such as used in the UK. Of course, I may not know what I'm talking about.

LCKurtz said:
My understanding, such as it is, is that the US banks have decided for now that it is cheaper to eat the losses generated from lax security than to pay for the full-scale transition to the chip-and pin cards such as used in the UK.

That might explain why the US had the second highest credit card fraud rate in an international survey. (The highest was Mexico).

The US doesn't need to pay for a "full scale transition", unless it decides to invent its own incompatible system rather than joining the EMV standard (Europay, Mastercard, Visa) that already exists.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahto...ries-with-the-most-card-fraud-u-s-and-mexico/

1. What is the EMV standard and how does it reduce credit card fraud rates?

The EMV standard is a global standard for credit and debit card transactions that uses advanced technology to encrypt and authenticate each transaction. This makes it more difficult for fraudsters to steal and use credit card information, thus reducing fraud rates.

2. How does the adoption of EMV standard affect merchants and consumers?

Merchants will need to upgrade their payment systems to accept EMV cards, and consumers will need to use their cards differently by inserting them into a card reader instead of swiping. However, the added security measures provide peace of mind for both parties.

3. Why is the US lagging behind in adopting the EMV standard?

The US has a large and complex payment infrastructure, making it more difficult and costly for merchants to upgrade their systems. Additionally, there was a lack of incentive for banks to issue EMV cards until the liability shift in 2015, which made them responsible for fraudulent transactions if they did not have EMV technology.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of implementing the EMV standard?

The main drawback is the cost of upgrading payment systems, which can be a burden for small businesses. There is also a learning curve for consumers to get used to inserting their cards instead of swiping. Additionally, the EMV standard does not prevent all types of credit card fraud, such as online or card-not-present transactions.

5. Are there any other measures that can be taken to further reduce credit card fraud rates?

While the EMV standard is a significant step towards reducing credit card fraud, there are other measures that can be taken. These include implementing multi-factor authentication, using tokenization to replace sensitive card information with a unique identifier, and educating consumers on how to protect their personal and financial information.