Lost in the physics forum website

• Thread starter brmath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding friend requests and messages on a physics website. The person is unable to find the missing friend request and is questioning the purpose of friending someone they don't know. It is suggested that the missing request may have been from a spammer who was later banned. The conversation also includes jokes about the concept of "friendzoning" and the limitations of GPS on a boat.
brmath
Wish I could find the answer elsewhere, but not making progress. Got a message that someone wanted to "friend" me, so I went there and said yes. Discovered while there that someone else had made such a request, which I never got. And I can't figure out how to get back to wherever that is.

How do I find the people who requested to be a friend? And how do I get the messages that they did so?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
brmath said:
Wish I could find the answer elsewhere, but not making progress. Got a message that someone wanted to "friend" me, so I went there and said yes. Discovered while there that someone else had made such a request, which I never got. And I can't figure out how to get back to wherever that is.

How do I find the people who requested to be a friend? And how do I get the messages that they did so?

Thanks.
Friend requests just "appear" there are no related messages, unless the person has also sent you a separate message.

Personally, I don't "friend" anyone that I don't know, even though here it doesn't actually do anything.

Evo said:
... even though here it doesn't actually do anything.
And after all the years. :cry:

dlgoff said:
And after all the years. :cry:
Well, we're actual friends. :approve:

Evo said:
Well, we're actual friends. :approve:
That's why I could actually tell my feeling. :thumbs:

Go to "My PF" (link in the top menu) and select "Contacts & Friends" on the left.

HI Borek,

I had already tried that. It indicates the friend request I accepted, but does not show the missing one.

How, exactly, do you know you are missing a request? That can help us understand what happened.

Some people register just to post something spammy, send some requests, posts a few visitor messages, and then they never come back. I guess they do most of the things to pretend they are "normal" members, but the only real reason they got here is to spam. We ban them routinely. As the member is banned, request is not shown.

Doesn't have to be what have happened, but that would be a logical, and not that improbable explanation.

Evo said:
Personally, I don't "friend" anyone that I don't know, even though here it doesn't actually do anything.

Hello Lady of Shalott. I often wondered what difference friending makes and why nothing ever came of our friendship. :!)

Borek said:
Some people register just to post something spammy, send some requests, posts a few visitor messages, and then they never come back. I guess they do most of the things to pretend they are "normal" members, but the only real reason they got here is to spam. We ban them routinely. As the member is banned, request is not shown.

Doesn't have to be what have happened, but that would be a logical, and not that improbable explanation.

I do see the logic of that. But why in the world would anyone bother to do such a thing? I realize some people are bored, but surely there is something more interesting to do than post spam on a physics website. Polishing doorknobs, maybe?

LCKurtz said:
Hello Lady of Shalott. I often wondered what difference friending makes and why nothing ever came of our friendship. :!)

It's because she has you in the "friend zone". Sorry, buddy.

brmath said:
I do see the logic of that. But why in the world would anyone bother to do such a thing? I realize some people are bored, but surely there is something more interesting to do than post spam on a physics website. Polishing doorknobs, maybe?

To troll, to fight boredom, to spam, etc.

brmath said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spamdexing

LCKurtz said:
After we became PF *friends*, I waited outside my front door holding my lantern for what seemed days. You never came for me. :cry:

Evo said:
After we became PF *friends*, I waited outside my front door holding my lantern for what seemed days. You never came for me. :cry:

Dang! I never expected my GPS wouldn't work properly in that damn boat.

1. What is the purpose of the "Lost in the physics forum website"?

The "Lost in the physics forum website" is a platform for discussing and sharing knowledge about physics-related topics. It allows users to ask questions, engage in discussions, and learn from others in the scientific community.

2. How can I navigate the "Lost in the physics forum website" effectively?

The website has a user-friendly interface with various categories and sub-forums to help you navigate to the specific topic you are interested in. You can also use the search bar to find relevant discussions or posts.

3. Can I trust the information shared on the "Lost in the physics forum website"?

While the website encourages users to provide accurate and reliable information, it is always important to verify the information from multiple sources. The website also has moderators who monitor the content to ensure it is relevant and appropriate.

4. How can I contribute to the "Lost in the physics forum website"?

You can contribute by asking questions, providing answers to others' questions, and engaging in discussions. You can also share your knowledge and expertise by posting relevant articles or resources.

5. Is there a membership fee for using the "Lost in the physics forum website"?

No, the website is completely free to use. However, you may need to create an account to participate in discussions and access some features, but there is no membership fee required.