I just took Lewin's courses: What next?

• Thread starter GloriousPanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the conversation discusses the options for the listener's next course in physics. They are considering either quantum mechanics or special relativity, and are seeking advice on which one to choose and which textbooks to use. The speaker recommends taking quantum theory next and suggests using textbooks such as Sakurai, Ballentine, or Resnick. They also mention the importance of having a strong mathematical background before diving into more advanced concepts.
GloriousPanda
A few days ago, I completed Walter Lewin's courses 8.01 (Newtonian Mechanics)and 8.02 (Electricity and Magnetism) . I loved the courses and I'm quite motivated to go further. I was thinking of two routes:

a) Quantum Mechanics: I'll probably use Griffiths/Resnick/Shankar/Gasiorowicz.
b) Special relativity: Probably Resnick.

Which of the two routes should I choose, and what textbook should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd take quantum theory next. Textbooks: Sakurai/Ballentine.

What math have you done so far? If you've done Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, and differential then QM is definitely accessible, although 8.03 Vibrations and Waves ( and Special Relativity (use both Resnick and AP French) would be a good next step especially since 8.03 is sort of a transition to give some background on some classical concepts that are used/extended in QM. Although, Resnick's QM is at the level of a modern physics course, rather than a full QM coure, so it might be useful to work through that before trying Griffiths or Shankar.

megatyler30 said:
What math have you done so far? If you've done Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, and differential then QM is definitely accessible, although 8.03 Vibrations and Waves ( and Special Relativity (use both Resnick and AP French) would be a good next step especially since 8.03 is sort of a transition to give some background on some classical concepts that are used/extended in QM. Although, Resnick's QM is at the level of a modern physics course, rather than a full QM coure, so it might be useful to work through that before trying Griffiths or Shankar.
I did not require multivariable calculus for 8.02. I think I'll devote some time to gaining mathematical background while watching 8.03 lectures. After that, maybe I'll be prepared for more "hardcore" QM. Thanks!

Sakurai is not a beginners book, you need something on the level of Griffiths or Resnik to have a chance of getting thru it...

What are some potential job opportunities after taking Lewin's courses?

After completing Lewin's courses, you may be qualified for positions such as research assistant, data analyst, laboratory technician, or science educator. These roles can be found in various industries such as academia, government agencies, healthcare, and biotechnology companies.

Can I pursue further education after taking Lewin's courses?

Absolutely! Lewin's courses can provide a strong foundation for pursuing graduate studies in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, or engineering. You can also consider enrolling in a specialized certificate program to enhance your skills in a specific area.

How can I apply what I learned in Lewin's courses to real-world problems?

Lewin's courses are designed to provide a solid understanding of scientific principles and concepts, which can be applied to real-world problems. You can use your knowledge to conduct research, develop new technologies, or solve complex issues in various fields such as healthcare, environmental science, or engineering.

What are some skills I can expect to gain from taking Lewin's courses?

By taking Lewin's courses, you can expect to develop skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, problem-solving, and scientific communication. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can help you succeed in your future career.

How can I continue to stay updated on scientific advancements after completing Lewin's courses?

There are several ways to stay updated on scientific advancements, including attending conferences and workshops, subscribing to scientific journals, joining professional organizations, and following reputable scientists and institutions on social media. Additionally, you can continue to take online courses or pursue higher education to deepen your knowledge and stay current in your field.