Kleppner then Morin or quick intro then Morin?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the options of using Kleppner and Morin for a first-year mechanics course. Both books are meant for advanced students at MIT or Harvard and cover similar topics. However, Morin covers more content and is known for its difficult problems. It is recommended to choose based on personal preference and learning style.
Thinker301
I have choice between using Kleppner then doing Morin right after or using some quick intro to mechanics then Morin, what do you guys think?

Thank you for your input :)

With my heart on my sleeve,
The Thinker

Physics news on Phys.org
You can read chapter 6 of Morin here, this suggests it covers more than K&K which I believe has nothing on Lagrangians. For what it covers, K&K is excellent. Morin covers more though.

I've seen it said here that Morin's book has very difficult questions. So those are the factors to consider: which has the style you like, which covers what you need and which suits your style of learning as regards problems.

So Kleppner and Morin are meant for the same audience?

Thinker301 said:
So Kleppner and Morin are meant for the same audience?

Well, both are meant for first year students at MIT or Harvard who have learned multivariable calculus in school already, and have probably learned algebra-based physics as well. They are ready for a principled and sophisticated exposition. Both are the most advanced books used in those institutions for first-year mechanics, I believe. Both are written for very advanced entry students. Therefore, it seems to me that they must overlap very much.

It's your decision but I can say that K&K is an excellent book, you can't go wrong with it. Only the extra scope could win me over, knowing what I know about K&K, how good it is.

But that said, Morin might be the best book for that extra content. Many people recommend Taylor as an intermediate book, but with Morin you could skip it perhaps.

Morin is a problem book. Kleppner is a textbook. It's not an either or. The Harvard honors mechanics class that uses Morin has Morin teaching the class on top of assigning problems from his text so the situation is quite different from that of self-studying.

Likes SolarisOne

1. What is "Kleppner then Morin" or "quick intro then Morin"?

"Kleppner then Morin" and "quick intro then Morin" are both physics textbooks commonly used in introductory college physics courses. They cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics.

2. Which textbook is better - "Kleppner then Morin" or "quick intro then Morin"?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Both textbooks cover similar content and are well-regarded in the physics community. Some students may find one to be more clear and helpful than the other, so it is recommended to try both and see which one works best for you.

3. Can I use "Kleppner then Morin" or "quick intro then Morin" for self-study?

Yes, both textbooks are suitable for self-study. However, it is recommended to have some background knowledge in calculus and basic physics concepts before using these textbooks for self-study.

4. Are there any online resources or study guides available for "Kleppner then Morin" or "quick intro then Morin"?

Yes, there are various online resources and study guides available for both textbooks. Some examples include practice problems, video lectures, and study guides created by physics professors and students. These resources can be found through a simple internet search.

5. Can "Kleppner then Morin" or "quick intro then Morin" be used for advanced physics courses?

While these textbooks are primarily used for introductory courses, they can also be used as a supplement for advanced physics courses. However, it is important to note that they may not cover all the necessary material for advanced courses and may need to be supplemented with other resources.