Tips for calculus II materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to take Calculus II at their university, which is divided into two parts: Calculus II-A and Calculus II-B. The topics covered in each include definite and improper integrals, differential equations, vector functions, continuity, and maxima and minima. The speaker has previously taken Calculus I and used a book by a Brazilian author, but is now looking for recommendations for books with a theorem-proof style and challenging exercises. They also ask for book recommendations for Physics II: Electricity & Magnetism. One suggestion is to look at notes by William Chen, while another recommendation is Griffiths for E&M.
ythamsten
Good evening guys, next period I'm going to take Calculus II at the University, but turns out that in my university they split it in Calculus II-A and II-B.
The topics covered in each are basically those:
Calculus II-A: Definite Integral, Techniques of integration, Improper integrals, first order differential equations, second order differential equations, linear differential equations of order n.
Calculus II-B: Single variable vector functions, multivariable real functions (scalars and vector), continuity, partial derivatives and differentiability, taylor's formula, maxima and minima.
Last period I took Calculus one, which covered all that basic single variable Calculus, but didn't developed integration that much, only an introduction to the techniques and worked with undefinite integrals. Back then I used a book from a brazilian author which probably you PF guys are not much familiarized with (Guidorizzi). But I started using Spivak quite early on, since I was interested in a different approach. Although it was kind of harsh at the beggining, I got used to the language and really liked it. But I rented it from my university library at the time, and I'm not finding it anywhere here in Rio to buy.
So what books would you recommend for me to take those Calculus II-A and II-B, with this theorem-proof style and as well with some interesting/challenging exercises?
Also, I will take Physics II: Electricity & Magnetism, do you guys have any tips on books for it too? I used Randall's one for Physics I, like it, worth sticking with it?
Sorry for asking that much and for the long text. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at these notes by William Chen, the First Year Calculus ones and the Multivariable and Vector Analysis ones. They won't be as good as a book but they may be in the style you are looking for, theorem-proof with exercises.

I think all you want is to get a head start on what you will learn in class.

For E&M, Griffiths (though I think any northern hemisphere book is going to be expensive or hard to get).

Last edited:

What are the main topics covered in Calculus II?

Calculus II typically covers topics such as integration techniques, applications of integration, sequences and series, and differential equations.

What are some helpful study tips for Calculus II?

Some helpful study tips for Calculus II include reviewing the basics of Calculus I, practicing problem-solving regularly, seeking help from a tutor or professor, and actively engaging in class lectures and discussions.

How can I improve my understanding of integration techniques?

To improve your understanding of integration techniques, it is important to practice a variety of problems, seek help from a tutor or professor, and review important concepts such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions.

What are some real-life applications of Calculus II?

Calculus II has many real-life applications, such as calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes, modeling population growth and decay, and solving problems in physics and engineering involving rates of change.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in Calculus II?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Calculus II include not reviewing the basics of Calculus I, not practicing enough problems, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to avoid making careless errors and to double-check your work.