Which book is best for delving deeper into Electrodynamics?

• Thread starter exo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good book on Electrodynamics to deepen one's knowledge on the subject. The first person mentions a book called Electromagnetic Fields and Waves by Lorrain & Corson, and the second person shares their thoughts on the book and suggests borrowing it from the library. Other recommended books include Feynman Lectures vol. II, A. Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics vol. III, J.D. Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz's Course of Theoretical Physics vol. II, M. Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics, and J. Schwinger's Classical Electrodynamics. Each book has its own
exo
I took an Electricity & Magnetism course at the university, now I am looking for a good book on Electrodynamics to further deepen my knowledge on the subject.Can you give me any suggestions, I think I saw a copy of Electromagnetic Fields and Waves by Lorrain & Corson in the library, what are your thoughts about this book?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Lorrain and Corson. The topics are well selected, the text has many applications, and the problems are more inherently interesting than those found in most texts. If you can borrow it from a library you cannot lose.

I like Wangsness the best, best intermediate between a freshman course and Jackson that I have found.

My favorites are

Feynman Lectures vol. II

gives a very good explanation on topics which are confused in many other textbooks, e.g., the unipolar generator and related issues with Faraday's Law.

A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics vol. III

this is my favorite theory textbook series for classical physics. Reading it, you understand, why the Sommerfeld school has produced more Nobel prize winners than any others. Unfortunately it's somewhat outdated in the notation concerning relativity (ict convention of the metric).

J.D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics

quite comprehensive. Only drawback is that in the newest edition he uses SI units instead of Gaussian units which destroys all the beauty and symmetry of electromagnetism. This desease it shares with many newer textbooks on electromagnetism.

L.D. Landau, E.M. Lifshitz, Course of Theoretical Physics, vol II

gives the relativistic point of view from the very beginning. Thus I like it even better than Jackson.

M. Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics

a marvelous book by a Nobel prize winner. Emphasizes also the relativistic point of view.

J. Schwinger, Classical Electrodynamics

has marverlous mathematical tricks to deal with the solution of Maxwell's equations. Schwinger is famous for his treatment of waveguides (i.e., not only for his famous works on QED).

I am always happy to hear about individuals seeking to deepen their understanding of a subject through further reading. Electrodynamics is a fascinating and complex field, and it is great that you are looking for a good book to supplement your previous course.

In regards to your specific question about Electromagnetic Fields and Waves by Lorrain & Corson, I have not personally read this book, but I have heard positive reviews from colleagues and students who have used it as a textbook. It covers a wide range of topics in Electrodynamics and has a good balance of theory and practical applications. However, I would also recommend looking at other textbooks and doing some research to find the one that best suits your learning style and interests.

Some other popular textbooks on Electrodynamics include Introduction to Electrodynamics by David J. Griffiths, Classical Electrodynamics by John David Jackson, and Electromagnetic Theory by Julius Adams Stratton. These are just a few suggestions, and I encourage you to explore and find the one that resonates with you the most.

In addition to textbooks, I would also recommend looking into scientific journals and publications to stay up-to-date on the latest research and advancements in Electrodynamics. Reading and understanding current research can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.

I wish you the best of luck in your continued studies of Electrodynamics and hope you find a book that helps you deepen your knowledge and passion for this field.

1. What is the best book to learn Electrodynamics?

The best book to learn Electrodynamics is a matter of personal preference and learning style. Some popular options include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "Electromagnetic Field Theory Fundamentals" by Bhag Singh Guru and Hüseyin R. Hiziroglu.

2. How difficult is Electrodynamics to understand?

Electrodynamics can be a challenging subject to grasp, as it builds upon concepts from other areas of physics such as mechanics and electromagnetism. However, with dedication and a strong understanding of prerequisite topics, it can be a fascinating and rewarding field to study.

3. Are there any online resources for learning Electrodynamics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Electrodynamics, including lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to study Electrodynamics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is necessary for understanding Electrodynamics. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of vector calculus and differential equations.

5. How can I apply Electrodynamics in real-world scenarios?

Electrodynamics has many practical applications, such as in electrical engineering, telecommunications, and optics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in various technologies, including radio, television, and wireless communication.