What kinds of math do I need to understand the world around me?

• Thread starter Evanish
  • Start date
In summary: Basically one needs calculus through partial differential equations, linear analysis, complex analysis, and perhaps vector/tensor calculus, and a few others like HallsofIvy mentioned, and micromass and others will probably mention more. There is also numerical analysis with one does computational physics.Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was using khan academy for a while and I think I was making progress, but then I took a break from it over which I seemed to forgot most of what I learned. The biggest problem I seem to run into with learning math is that I've gone about learning in such a sporadic undisciplined manner that I'm not really sure what I know and what I don't know. My math skills are like a
Evanish
My understanding of science has always been limited by my lack of adequate math skills. Eventually I reach explanations and studies filled with equations, symbols and variables I don't understand and I find myself at a dead end. I've done pretty well with my limited skills, but I kind of want to understand more. I don't think I'll every understand it all, but I think I can do better then I'm doing now. In order to have a better understanding of science what types of math do I need to focus on learning?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a matter of "focusing" on a specific type of mathematics. It's a matter of each form of mathematics depending on previous kinds of mathematics. If you have not already, start with algebra. Then go to trigonometry and some geometry. By then you will be ready for Calculus. Then differential equations and differential geometry.

Evanish said:
My understanding of science has always been limited by my lack of adequate math skills. Eventually I reach explanations and studies filled with equations, symbols and variables I don't understand and I find myself at a dead end. I've done pretty well with my limited skills, but I kind of want to understand more. I don't think I'll every understand it all, but I think I can do better then I'm doing now. In order to have a better understanding of science what types of math do I need to focus on learning?

Your post is pretty vague. What science exactly do you wish to understand? And what do you mean with understanding? For example, a understanding of the mathematical foundations of QM should need a different skillset than understanding evolution in biology.

micromass said:
Your post is pretty vague. What science exactly do you wish to understand? And what do you mean with understanding? For example, a understanding of the mathematical foundations of QM should need a different skillset than understanding evolution in biology.
I'm a curious person. I'm interested in a lot of different subjects. If my post seems vague it's because my motivation is somewhat vague as well. Mostly I just want to understand the things I want to understand when I want to understand them. Not a very realistic objective, but still something to strive for. The latest thing I've been struggling with is spectroscopy. I don't really get diffraction grating especially when Rowland Circles are involved.

Last edited:
Calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, prob/stat.

Evanish said:
I'm a curious person. I'm interested in a lot of different subjects. If my post seems vague it's because my motivation is somewhat vague as well. Mostly I just want to understand the things I want to understand when I want to understand them. Not a very realistic objective, but still something to strive for. The latest thing I've been struggling with is spectroscopy. I don't really get diffraction grating especially when Rowland Circles are involved.

... as in "optics", then you want Trigonometry, along with what the other has mentioned.

For spectroscopy, discrete math would be helpful more than you would first imagine. If you are just interested in transmittance and absorbance, then intermediate algebra is enough.

Evanish said:
It depends on how deeply one wishes to understand many phenomena and physical systems.

Basically one needs calculus through partial differential equations, linear analysis, complex analysis, and perhaps vector/tensor calculus, and a few others like HallsofIvy mentioned, and micromass and others will probably mention more. There is also numerical analysis with one does computational physics.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was using khan academy for a while and I think I was making progress, but then I took a break from it over which I seemed to forgot most of what I learned. The biggest problem I seem to run into with learning math is that I've gone about learning in such a sporadic undisciplined manner that I'm not really sure what I know and what I don't know. My math skills are like a road where parts are newly paved and other parts are giant gaping potholes. Knowing where those holes are so I can fill them in is the difficult part. Maybe I should try to put in a few hours everyday on the subjects suggested here. Eventually I'll manage to fill in the missing pieces even if I have to go over the same stretch of road over and over again.

1. What is the importance of math in understanding the world around me?

Math is essential for understanding the world around us because it provides us with a universal language to describe and quantify the physical and natural phenomena that we observe. It helps us make sense of patterns and relationships, and allows us to make accurate predictions and solve real-world problems.

2. What specific branches of math are most relevant for understanding the world?

The most relevant branches of math for understanding the world around us include algebra, geometry, statistics, and calculus. Algebra helps us solve equations and analyze patterns, geometry is useful for understanding shapes and spatial relationships, statistics allows us to make sense of data and make predictions, and calculus helps us understand and model changes in the natural world.

3. Do I need to be good at math to understand the world around me?

While having a strong foundation in math can certainly enhance your understanding of the world, it is not necessary to be a math expert to understand the world around you. Basic mathematical concepts and skills are sufficient for understanding and appreciating the world, and there are many resources available to help you improve your math abilities if needed.

4. How can I apply math to understand everyday occurrences?

Math can be applied to understand many everyday occurrences, such as calculating the time it takes to travel from one place to another, determining the probability of events happening, or measuring the ingredients for a recipe. By understanding basic mathematical concepts, you can make sense of and analyze everyday occurrences in a more meaningful way.

5. Can math help me make informed decisions about the world?

Yes, math can help you make better informed decisions about the world by providing you with the tools to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and solve real-world problems. It can also help you think critically and make logical decisions based on evidence and reasoning.