What is the function g(x) given h=g \circ f and f(x)=x+1, h(x)=x^3+3x+1?

In summary, to find the function g(x) if h=g \circ f, where f(x)=x+1, x \in \mathbb{R} and h(x)=x^3+3x+1, it is possible to use the composition of functions to find g(x). This can be done by setting h(x)=g(f(x)) and then solving for g(x) using the given information. Another approach is to make a substitution, such as u=x+1, and then solve for g(u) before renaming u back to x. Both methods will result in the same function for g(x), which is x^3-3x^2+6x-3.
Дьявол

Homework Statement

Find the function g(x), if there are [itex]h=g \circ f[/itex]

f(x)=x+1, [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]h(x)=x^3+3x+1[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex](g \circ f)(x)=g(f(x))=h(x)[/tex]

[tex]f \circ g \neq g \circ f [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]h=g \circ f[/tex]

[tex]h(x)=g(f(x))[/tex]

[tex]x^3+3x+1=g(x+1)[/tex]

Is there any way that I will directly find the result of g(x), or I should guess and try some things? I tried something at home, but useless. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org

My guess is g is going to be a polynomial. You can use the degree of f and h to find what the degree of g is going to be, then plug f into a generic polynomial of that degree and see what conditions the coefficients have to satisfy

Well, you can figure g ought to be a polynomial function of degree 3, right? So put g(x+1)=A(x+1)^3+B(x+1)^2+C(x+1)+D. If you set that equal to x^3+3x+1, can you find A,B,C and D? You should get four equations in four unknowns if you equate the powers of x. Of course, you can also be clever and pick some special values of x that might make the job easier (like x=-1).

Thanks for the posts.

I found A=1, B=-3, C=6, D=-3.
[tex]g(x+1)=(x+1)^3-3(x+1)^2+6(x+1)-3[/tex]
So
[tex]g(x)=x^3-3x^2+6x-3[/tex]

Yes it is correct.

How will x=-1 make the job easier?

Дьявол said:
Thanks for the posts.

I found A=1, B=-3, C=6, D=-3.
[tex]g(x+1)=(x+1)^3-3(x+1)^2+6(x+1)-3[/tex]
So
[tex]g(x)=x^3-3x^2+6x-3[/tex]

Yes it is correct.

How will x=-1 make the job easier?

If you put x=-1, you get D=-3 directly. You can also see A must be 1 without doing any any algebra. So you really only need to solve for B and C.

Дьявол said:
[tex]x^3+3x+1=g(x+1)[/tex]

Is there any way that I will directly find the result of g(x), or I should guess and try some things? I tried something at home, but useless. Please help me!

An alternative method would be to just make the substitution u=x+1 (and hence x=u-1) into this equation and find g(u), then rename u to x and your done...You wouldn't even need to expand the polynomial, you could just leave it as a polynomial in powers of (x-1)

Thanks for the replys.
gabbagabbahey, do you think like [itex](u-1)^3+3(u-1)+1=g(u)[/itex] ?

I got the same result [itex]u^3-3u^2+6u-3=g(u)[/itex], so if I write [itex]g(x)=u^3-3u^2+6u-3[/itex]. Thanks again.

Yes, [itex](u-1)^3+3(u-1)+1=g(u)[/itex] so automatically, [itex]g(x)=(x-1)^3+3(x-1)+1[/itex] and you could leave the answer just like that. (or you could expand it in powers of x and get [itex]g(x)=x^3-3x^2+6x-3[/itex])

gabbagabbahey said:
An alternative method would be to just make the substitution u=x+1 (and hence x=u-1) into this equation and find g(u), then rename u to x and your done...You wouldn't even need to expand the polynomial, you could just leave it as a polynomial in powers of (x-1)

That's even more direct. Good observation.

What is composition of polynomials?

Composition of polynomials is a mathematical operation where one polynomial is plugged into another polynomial, resulting in a new polynomial. This is similar to function composition, where one function is plugged into another function.

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables, coefficients, and exponents, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can have one or more terms and the degree of the polynomial is determined by the highest exponent in the expression.

How do you add or subtract polynomials?

To add or subtract polynomials, you need to combine like terms. Like terms have the same variables raised to the same powers. You can then add or subtract the coefficients of these like terms to get the final result.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is determined by the highest exponent in the expression. For example, if a polynomial has the term x^3, the degree of the polynomial is 3. This is important because it helps determine the behavior of the polynomial, such as whether it has a maximum or minimum point.

What is the difference between a monomial, binomial, and trinomial?

A monomial is a polynomial with only one term, such as 5x or 2xy. A binomial is a polynomial with two terms, such as 3x+4 or 2x^2+5x. A trinomial is a polynomial with three terms, such as x^3+2x^2+3x. The number of terms in a polynomial determines its classification as a monomial, binomial, or trinomial.