Exploring the Intriguing History of E=mc2: A Review of David Bodani's Book

• Thread starter alex.cordero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc2
In summary, the conversation discusses the origins of the famous equation E=mc2 and its interpretation. It is derived from Einstein's 1905 paper "Does the inertia of a body depend upon its energy content?" and can also be derived without involving light. The constant c is interpreted as the maximum speed of causality, not necessarily the speed of light. This understanding is important as it helps explain the connection between mass and energy.
alex.cordero
I'm 3/4 of the way through David Bodani's, E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation book and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks to this book, I finally understand that "e=m" and also understand why "C^2", but I still can't understand why Einstein used the speed of light to connect the two?

Is it just a constant? Did he use "c" because there is nothing faster?

Physics news on Phys.org
ansgar said:
it follows from the derivation simply,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=76010

and this is not quantum physics...

Thank you. Can you enlighten me as to where I should have posted this?

alex.cordero said:
Thank you. Can you enlighten me as to where I should have posted this?

Relativity

Frame Dragger said:
Relativity

Perfect, thank you.

alex.cordero said:
Perfect, thank you.

No sweat, enjoy PF!

FAQ: Where does E=mc2 come from?

Einstein found this result in a 1905 paper, titled "Does the inertia of a body depend upon its energy content?" This paper is very short and readable, and is available online. A summary of the argument is as follows. Define a frame of reference A, and let an object O, initially at rest in this frame, emit two flashes of light in opposite directions. Now define another frame of reference B, in motion relative to A along the same axis as the one along which the light was emitted. Then in order to preserve conservation of energy, we are forced to attribute a different inertial mass to O before and after it emits the light. The interpretation is that mass and energy are equivalent. By giving up a quantity of energy E, the object has reduced its mass by an amount E/c2.

Although Einstein's original derivation happens to involve the speed of light, E=mc2 can be derived without talking about light at all. One can derive the Lorentz transformations using a set of postulates that don't say anything about light (see, e.g., Rindler 1979). The constant c is then interpreted simply as the maximum speed of causality, not necessarily the speed of light. Constructing the mass-energy four-vector of a particle, we find that its norm, E2-p2c2, is frame-invariant, and can be interpreted as m2c4, where m is the particle's rest mass. In the case where the particle is at rest, p=0, and we recover E=mc2.

A. Einstein, Annalen der Physik. 18 (1905) 639, available online at http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/E_mc2/www/

Rindler, Essential Relativity: Special, General, and Cosmological, 1979, p. 51

bcrowell said:
FAQ: Where does E=mc2 come from?
Einstein found this result in a 1905 paper, titled "Does the inertia of a body depend upon its energy content?" This paper is very short and readable, and is available online. A summary of the argument is as follows.
Thank you for your summary. It's more clear now.

1. What is the book "Exploring the Intriguing History of E=mc2" about?

The book is a comprehensive review of David Bodani's work, which delves into the fascinating history of the famous equation E=mc2. It explores the origins of the equation, its development over time, and its impact on the fields of physics and astronomy.

2. Who is the author of the book?

The author of the book is David Bodani, a renowned physicist and historian of science. Bodani has published numerous books and articles on various topics in physics, including the history of E=mc2.

3. What makes this book different from other books on E=mc2?

This book offers a unique perspective on the history of E=mc2, as it is written by a scientist who has a deep understanding of the equation and its implications. It also includes in-depth analysis and insights that are not found in other books on the subject.

4. Is the book suitable for non-scientists?

While the book does contain technical information, it is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. It provides a clear and engaging overview of the history and significance of E=mc2, making it a valuable read for anyone interested in science and history.

5. What can readers expect to learn from this book?

Readers can expect to gain a deeper understanding of the origins and evolution of E=mc2, as well as its impact on the world of science. They will also learn about the scientists and their contributions to the development of the equation, and the ongoing research and applications of E=mc2 in modern times.