Inverse laplace transform square wave

In summary, the inverse Laplace transform of the function f(t) = 1, when 0 < t < 10f(t) = 0, when 10 < t < 20F(s) = (-1/s)(e^(-10s) - 1)/(1 - e^(-20s))is to take the inverse of \frac{F(s)}{1-e^{-20s}}
magnifik
can someone please help me find the inverse laplace transform of the following:
http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/img/694286-34201141544am.png

i do not know how to solve for this due to the e^-20s shift in the denominator... is there a way to change this function to make it easier to solve?

Physics news on Phys.org
in analyzing JUST the function part of this...

f(t) = 1, when 0 < t < 10
f(t) = 0, when 10 < t < 20
F(s) = (-1/s)(e^(-10s) - 1)/(1 - e^(-20s))

is it correct to say that f(t) = U(t) - U(t -10) and that the period is 20??

magnifik said:
i do not know how to solve for this due to the e^-20s shift in the denominator... is there a way to change this function to make it easier to solve?
The idea is to use the fact that

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x} = 1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+\cdots[/tex]

so that

[tex]\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{1-e^{-20s}} &= 1 + e^{-20s} + (e^{-20s})^2+ (e^{-20s})^3 + \cdots \\
&= 1 + e^{-20s} + e^{-40s} + e^{-60s} + \cdots
\end{align*}[/tex]

Hopefully, you can see why that may result in a function periodic in the time domain.

magnifik said:
in analyzing JUST the function part of this...

f(t) = 1, when 0 < t < 10
f(t) = 0, when 10 < t < 20
F(s) = (-1/s)(e^(-10s) - 1)/(1 - e^(-20s))

is it correct to say that f(t) = U(t) - U(t -10) and that the period is 20??

Yes. To be precise, F(s) is the Laplace Transform of the periodic extension with period 20 of your f(t).

vela said:
The idea is to use the fact that

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x} = 1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+\cdots[/tex]

so that

[tex]\begin{align*}
\frac{1}{1-e^{-20s}} &= 1 + e^{-20s} + (e^{-20s})^2+ (e^{-20s})^3 + \cdots \\
&= 1 + e^{-20s} + e^{-40s} + e^{-60s} + \cdots
\end{align*}[/tex]

Hopefully, you can see why that may result in a function periodic in the time domain.

i understand that it can be represented as a series. however, i wouldn't know how to take the inverse laplace of the series

You're not taking the inverse transform of just the series. You're taking the inverse of

[tex]\begin{align*}
\frac{F(s)}{1-e^{-20s}} & = F(s)[1 + e^{-20s} + e^{-40s} + e^{-60s} + \cdots] \\
& = F(s) + e^{-20s}F(s) + e^{-40s}F(s) + e^{-60s}F(s) + \cdots
\end{align*}[/tex]

vela said:
You're not taking the inverse transform of just the series. You're taking the inverse of

[tex]\begin{align*}
\frac{F(s)}{1-e^{-20s}} & = F(s)[1 + e^{-20s} + e^{-40s} + e^{-60s} + \cdots] \\
& = F(s) + e^{-20s}F(s) + e^{-40s}F(s) + e^{-60s}F(s) + \cdots
\end{align*}[/tex]

not sure how i would do this. i know that the e^-ns represents a shift in the time domain f(t-n) but wouldn't there be infinitely many time shifts using the series expansion?

Yes, you need an infinite number of shifts because a periodic signal has an infinite number of cycles.

Take your f(t) in post #4 and repeatedly shift and add. What do you get?

vela said:
Yes, you need an infinite number of shifts because a periodic signal has an infinite number of cycles.

Take your f(t) in post #4 and repeatedly shift and add. What do you get?

U(t) - U(t-10) + U(t - 20) - U(t - 30) + U(t-40) - U(t - 50) + U(t - 60) + U(t - 70)...

i think i see your point.. the function will essentially be U(t) - U(t-10) repeated over and over again

Vela and I are leading you in two different directions for solution. I guess you learn twice as much. Say you have a periodic function f(t) with period p and define a new function f1(t) which is 1 on (0,p) and 0 elsewhere, giving you one nonzero period of your function f(t). So you can write

f1(t) = f(t)(u(t)-u(t-p))

You know that the transform of the periodic function f(t) is

[tex]F(s) = \frac{L(f_1(t))}{1-e^{-ps}}[/tex]

This tells you that when taking inverse transforms a factor of (1 - e-ps) can be suppressed and the inverse will give you one period of the original periodic function. So if you can find the inverse without that factor, just extend it periodically with period p to get the function f(t).

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and converts it back to the time domain. It is the reverse of the Laplace transform, which is used to convert a function from the time domain to the Laplace domain.

2. What is a square wave?

A square wave is a periodic waveform that alternates between two constant levels, typically high and low. It is commonly used as a test signal in electronics and signal processing.

3. How is a square wave represented in the Laplace domain?

A square wave in the time domain can be represented in the Laplace domain using the Heaviside step function and a Dirac delta function. The Heaviside function represents the step from low to high, while the Dirac delta function represents the sharp transition from high to low.

4. What is the inverse Laplace transform of a square wave?

The inverse Laplace transform of a square wave is a combination of exponential and trigonometric functions. It can be expressed as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

5. What is the significance of the inverse Laplace transform of a square wave?

The inverse Laplace transform of a square wave is important in signal processing and control systems, as it allows us to analyze and design systems in the time domain. It is also a useful tool for solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of systems with square wave inputs.