Is Speed Reading Really Possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of speed reading and its effectiveness in comprehending large amounts of information. Some argue that it is only a surface-level understanding, while others find it useful for quickly familiarizing themselves with a subject. However, it is not a substitute for true understanding and mastery of a topic, which requires multiple exposures and active thinking. The conversation concludes that speed reading can be a helpful tool when used in conjunction with other techniques such as note-taking and active reading.
jake2007
Is it possible for the mind to comprehend so much information that it barely has time to recognize? Can some people really read 10 novels a week or is this unreal? Are only moderately above average speeds possible?

- Jake

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Speed reading gets the 'gist' of the material.

It's the equivalent of taking one bite out of every food item and then claiming you ate everything at the buffet (which, technically, is true).

Of course it is possible for everyone.But we require some tips and tricks on speed reading.These tips can be obtained from expert faculties through online or offline.you will find the lots of improvement in your academic and professional life.

Speed reading is good for familiarity with the subject you are reading. It isn't going to make you an expert in the material you are reading. Employed correctly it can be a useful technique exposures, but it isn't to get you mastery of a subject.

For example;

In medical school we have to read a lot of material, understand said material and be sufficient in recall of that material for critical thinking/clinical reasoning problem solving type test questions. This makes wrote memorization a poor strategy for doing well on most tests in medical school (obviously exceptions like gross anatomy exist, which for the most part is just memorization).

I use speed reading in my technique to assimilate large amounts of information--I do it as prereading before my lectures. Then use active note taking during lecture, then the same day do "reading for understanding" which is more an active-thinking type of reading done much more slowly where I put together processes in my head as I read and make notes of it.

If you really, really want to understand a new subject speed reading isn't the way to go. Its exposures, most people need 5-6 exposures to really start to comprehend a new subject/idea.

Awesome necroposty. 4 years.

DaveC426913 said:
Awesome necroposty. 4 years.

It's still about 5 years shy of the best I've seen.

If anyone wants to discuss speed reading feel free to start a new topic, this thread however is too old to revive. Thread locked.

1. Is speed reading a real skill or just a myth?

Speed reading is a real skill that is backed by scientific research. It involves using techniques and strategies to increase reading speed and comprehension.

2. Can anyone learn to speed read?

Yes, anyone can learn to speed read with proper training and practice. It is a skill that can be developed and improved upon over time.

3. How much faster can someone read with speed reading techniques?

The average person reads at a rate of 200-300 words per minute. With speed reading techniques, it is possible to read at a rate of 500-1000 words per minute or even faster.

4. Does speed reading affect reading comprehension?

Speed reading techniques are designed to improve both reading speed and comprehension. With practice, individuals can learn to read faster while still retaining information effectively.

5. Are there any downsides to speed reading?

While speed reading can be an effective skill, it is not suitable for all types of reading. For example, speed reading may not be ideal for reading complex texts or for leisurely reading. It is important to use speed reading techniques appropriately and not sacrifice comprehension for speed.