Is this a case for Lambert?

• Thread starter Sammuueel
  • Start date
In summary, Samuel, a researcher in microeconomics, is seeking help in solving an equation involving the Lambert function. The equation is from a model where consumer demand accumulates over time and deteriorates with a factor ρ. The equation is related to a firm's decision-making process for setting prices.
Sammuueel
Dear Forum,

I am a researcher in the field of microeconomics and I came across this equation which I would like to solve for [itex]k[/itex]. It looks a little bit like the Lambert function. But I am stuck here.
[itex]\Omega = \rho^k (1-k\cdot \ln \rho) [/itex]

Do you have an idea how I could proceed?

Kind regards,
Samuel

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is !

Attachments

• LambertW.JPG
    LambertW.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 409
Sammuueel said:
Dear Forum,

I am a researcher in the field of microeconomics and I came across this equation which I would like to solve for [itex]k[/itex]. It looks a little bit like the Lambert function. But I am stuck here.
[itex]\Omega = \rho^k (1-k\cdot \ln \rho) [/itex]

Do you have an idea how I could proceed?

Kind regards,
Samuel

Jacquelin gave the answer... but I'm interested, how did this come up?

Thank you Jacqueline!

This is from a model where the demand of a consumer accumulates if he does not make a purchase in one period. This accumulated deteriorates with a factor ρ (e.g.0.9). After k periods without purchase, the demand is [itex]\rho + \rho^2 + ... + \rho^k = \frac{1-\rho^k}{1-\rho}[/itex].

The term shown in my problem is from a firm's FOC who chooses a set of prices for high-valuation consumers (who purchase in each period) and low-valuation purchases (whose demand accumulates).

Samuel

1. Is Lambert a real person?

No, Lambert is not a real person. It is a placeholder name used in scientific studies and experiments.

2. What is the purpose of using Lambert in a scientific case?

The use of Lambert in a scientific case helps to maintain anonymity and protect the identity of individuals involved in the study or experiment. It also allows for consistency and standardization in the reporting of results.

3. How is Lambert chosen as the placeholder name?

Lambert is often chosen randomly or based on alphabetical order to avoid any bias or influence in the selection process.

4. Is there any significance to using the name "Lambert" specifically?

No, there is no specific significance to using the name Lambert. It is simply a commonly used placeholder name in scientific research.

5. Can the name "Lambert" be replaced with another name in a scientific case?

Yes, the name Lambert can be replaced with any other placeholder name as long as it is used consistently throughout the study or experiment.