Register to reply

Electromagnetism question

by Berzurker
Tags: electromagnetism
Share this thread:
Berzurker
Mar28-13, 10:42 AM
P: 1
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've taken physics and I was hoping for some help on this theoretical situation.

Ok, lets say you have a positively charged ball placed in the middle of a negatively charged circle. Outside of the circle are 4 positively charged balls, one to the north, east, west, and south.

What happens if I could magically transform some of the charge from the positive center ball into negative charge and transfer it to the negatively charged circle?

The dynamic I'm trying to set up is when the positive center ball has more charge, the 4 positive balls are pushed further away from the circle, and when the center ball looses charge the negative circle gains charge and pulls the 4 balls closer to the circle/the center ball. I'm just not positive how the forces will act since I am changing the absolute value of charge equivalently for both the center ball and the negative circle at a given time.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
mfb
Mar28-13, 11:29 AM
Mentor
P: 11,602
What happens if I could magically transform some of the charge from the positive center ball into negative charge and transfer it to the negatively charged circle?
You would violate the laws of physics, and change the charge distributions. What do you mean with "what happens"? If you release the outer balls and the charge of the circle gives more attraction than the repulsion between the balls, they will be attracted towards the circle.

I'm just not positive how the forces will act since I am changing the absolute value of charge equivalently for both the center ball and the negative circle at a given time.
Both changes increase the force towards the center.

Register to reply