Difference power dissipation and actual power dissipation

In summary: The "power dissipation" in the standard is a theoretical value that is supposed to be equal to the "actual" case. For most resistors this is unlikely to be the case.
mepiace
difference "power dissipation" and "actual power dissipation"

Hi,

Is it possible to explain me the difference between "power dissipation" and "actual power dissipation" for a resistor ? I really can't understand the difference...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have some context?
Do you have two different numbers for the same resistor in the same setup?

I am reading the standard MIL-HDBK-217F for the reliability of resistors and it talks about "power dissipation" and "actual power dissipation". It just says that "power dissipation" is connected to the power factor and the " Actual Power Dissipation" is connected to the power stress factor but i can't see or immagine any difference between "power dissipation" and "actual power dissipation".

mepiace, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I have downloaded MIL-HDBK-217F at http://www.sre.org/pubs/Mil-Hdbk-217F.pdf and searched the entire section number nine and cannot find those terms “power dissipation” and “actual power dissipation” anywhere. The only words similar are here:

“Section 9.0
The use of the resistor models requires the calculation of the electrical power stress ratio. Stress = operating power/rated power, or per Section 9.16 for variable resistors. ...The rated power for the stress ratio is equal to the full nominal rated power of the resistor.”

Will you please post the link or the exact quotation, in context, to assist members here respond to your question. Thank you.

difference "power dissipation" and "actual power dissipation"

Hi,

I have downloaded the standard MIL-HDBK-217F from a different site http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/reference/MIL-STD/MIL-HDBK-217F-Notice2.pdf

Into the page 9-2 is mentioned the "power dissipation" in order to calculate the "power factor'. Into the page 9-3 is mentioned the 'Actual power dissipation" in order to calculate the "power stress factor". I don't know if there is any difference between "power dissipation" and "actual power dissipation".

In 9-3 I think the "actual" is just to make clear the difference between the power dissipation of the component in the circuit, and the nominal power rating of the component - e.g. a "10 watt" resistor that is actually dissipating 5 watts has S = 0.5.

In 9-2 "power dissipation" presumably means what it says, i.e. the same as "actual power dissipation" in 9-3.
But for a quick conservative estimate, assuming the components have been properly specified, you might use the component power rating in 9-2 instead. The failure rates for most resistors are likely to be low compared with other components in the system.

yes, it makes sense. Thank you very much for your answer!

OH dear god - please do not try to learn from Mil Specs... haha - in general the "actual" case tends to be a measured or confirmed value.

1. What is the difference between power dissipation and actual power dissipation?

Power dissipation refers to the total amount of energy that is lost or released as heat when an electronic device operates. Actual power dissipation, on the other hand, is the amount of power that is actually consumed by the device and used for its intended purpose.

2. How are power dissipation and actual power dissipation related?

Power dissipation is a measure of the total energy lost, while actual power dissipation is a measure of the energy used for a specific purpose. In other words, actual power dissipation is a subset of power dissipation.

3. How is power dissipation calculated?

Power dissipation is calculated by multiplying the voltage across a device by the current flowing through it. This calculation takes into account both the power consumed by the device and the power dissipated as heat.

4. Can power dissipation and actual power dissipation be equal?

In theory, yes, power dissipation and actual power dissipation can be equal. This would occur when all of the energy consumed by the device is used for its intended purpose and none is lost as heat. However, in practical applications, some amount of power dissipation is inevitable.

5. How does power dissipation affect the performance of electronic devices?

High power dissipation can lead to overheating and can decrease the efficiency and lifespan of electronic devices. It is important to consider power dissipation when designing and using electronic devices to ensure optimal performance and prevent damage.