Write an equation based on data

by musicgold
Tags: based, data, equation, write
Share this thread:
musicgold
Oct23-13, 08:58 PM
P: 180
Hi,

I am trying to understand what is the best way to solve problems like the one below. I have a few data points and I need to which function best describes that data.

(x, y) = (-3, -32) (-2, 16) (-1, 8) (0,4) (1,2) (2, 1)

note that the y parameter in the first data point is -32 and not 32.

Is there a process to solve such problems or do I have to guess the function?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Woopydalan
Oct23-13, 11:56 PM
P: 746
put it on a graph and see what you get using excel
HallsofIvy
Oct24-13, 07:45 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,346
There are, of course, an infinite number of functions whose graphs go through those points. The unique fifth degree polynomial that fits is the Lagrange polynomial:
[tex]-32\frac{(x+ 2)(x+ 1)(x)(x- 1)(x- 2)}{(-3+2)(-3+ 1)(-3)(-3- 1)(-3-2)}+ 16\frac{(x+ 3)(x+ 1)(x)(x- 1)(x- 2)}{(-2+3)(-2+ 1)(-2)(-2- 1)(-2-2)}+ 8\frac{(x+ 3)(x+ 2)(x)(x- 1)(x- 2)}{(-1+3)(-1+ 2)(-3)(-1-1)(-1-2)}+ 4\frac{(x+ 3)(x+ 2)(x+1)(x- 1)(x- 2)}{(0+3)(0+2)(-0+ 1)(0- 1)(0-2)}+ 2\frac{(x+3)(x+ 2)(x+ 1)(x)(x- 2)}{(1+ 3)(1+2)(1+ 1)(1)(1-2)}+ \frac{(x+ 3)(x+ 2)(x+ 1)(x)(x- 1)}{(1+ 3)(1+2)(-3+ 1)(-3)(-3-2)}[/tex]

AlexVGheo
Oct25-13, 03:13 PM
P: 28
Write an equation based on data

There are several methods for example newton's forward difference interpolation which though quite difficult to do and limited in the fact that you have to have a constant difference between the terms it is very effective, because if the data points are from an arithmetic series it will give you an expression of the series. Above is an example of Lagrange's method which is far easier to do, less limited as the data points can be anything and returns a polynomial that works.
alzabroo
Oct26-13, 10:16 PM
P: 6
1. As you've emphasized that the first data is in fact not an error it may not be helpful to point out that the last five data points are in the function: y = (2^(2-x)) , but if a piecewise function is an option than it's worth a thought.
2. Otherwise you can use excel as Woopydalan said. However adding a linear trend line will do you no good. If I remember correctly there is an option for fitting a polynomial of higher degrees. It may go up to a sixth degree polynomial.
3. The Lagrange polynomial method that HallsofIvy posted will definitely work.......so actually forget what I said and just copy and paste that into wolfram alpha

Register to reply