Calculating Angular Speed of a Falling Rod

In summary, the problem involves a thin 1.0-m rod pivoted at one end falling from a vertical position, and the question is about its angular speed when it becomes horizontal. By considering the center of mass and using the conservation of mechanical energy, we can set the initial potential energy equal to the final kinetic energy to find the angular speed. Rechecking the expression for the moment of inertia of the rod and treating it as being in pure rotation about the pivot, the correct answer is 5.4 rad/s.
endeavor
A thin 1.0-m rod pivoted at one end falls (rotates) frictionlessly from a vertical position, starting from rest. What is the angular speed of the rod when it is horizontal? [Hint: Consider the center of mass and use the conservation of mechanical energy.]

So far I'm thinking that intial potential energy = final kinetic energy, so
mgh = K, where h = 0.5 m (the center of mass)

I can't seem to use K = 1/2 * Icm * w2 + 1/2 * M * vcm2
because I don't know vcm... or can I find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you express w(cm) in terms of v(cm) and then solve the equation?

hmm.. i'll express v in terms of w instead...

mgh=.5Iw2 + .5M(rw)2
2mgh=Iw2 + Mr2w2
w2=(2mgh)/(I + Mr2)

h = 0.5m, I = 1/2 ML2, where L = 0.5m, r = 0.5m

so cancelling out M,
w2 = (2gh)/(1/2 * 0.52 + 0.52)
w = 5.1 rad/s

but the answer is supposed to be 5.4 rad/s...

Recheck your expression for the moment of inertia of a rod about its center of mass.

Realize that you can also treat the rod as being in pure rotation about the pivot, so:
[tex]m g h = 1/2 I \omega^2[/tex]
(where I is the moment of inertia about the pivot)

Doc Al said:
Recheck your expression for the moment of inertia of a rod about its center of mass.
I should have used I = 1/3 ML2

thanks! I got the right answer now.

1. What is "falling rod angular speed"?

"Falling rod angular speed" refers to the rate at which a rod rotates as it falls under the influence of gravity.

2. How is falling rod angular speed calculated?

Falling rod angular speed is calculated using the formula ω = sqrt(2gh/L), where ω is the angular speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the rod above the ground, and L is the length of the rod.

3. What factors affect falling rod angular speed?

The factors that affect falling rod angular speed are the acceleration due to gravity, the height of the rod above the ground, and the length and mass of the rod.

4. Can falling rod angular speed be measured?

Yes, falling rod angular speed can be measured using a stopwatch and a protractor. The time it takes for the rod to rotate a certain angle can be recorded and used to calculate the angular speed.

5. What is the significance of falling rod angular speed in science?

Falling rod angular speed is important in understanding concepts such as rotational motion and gravity. It is also used in practical applications such as designing pendulums and calculating the speed of rotating objects.