Average Velocity Question: Solving for Average Velocity in Complicated Motion

In summary, the conversation involves a problem about a caterpillar climbing a wall and the calculation of its average speed and average velocity after 5 minutes. The initial and final positions are needed to find the solution, but the initial and final positions are difficult to determine due to the caterpillar's complicated motion of ascending 3m and slipping down 2m every 5 minutes. There is a discussion about the definitions of displacement, velocity, and speed, as well as the use of significant figures. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the magnitude of the total displacement may not be equal to the distance travelled in this problem.
mcolem
I'm having trouble solving part of this problem. Can anyone help?

In climbing a wall, a caterpillar undergoes a complicated motion in which it ascends 3m and slips down 2m every 5min. What is its average speed and average velocity after 5min?

I figured the avg. speed to be 0.02 m/s, but I'm having trouble with the avg. velocity. It's not making sense to me. The displacement is needed to find the solution, but I'm having a hard time determining the intial and final positions.

Physics news on Phys.org
speed and velocity is the same...

:S

Mattara said:
speed and velocity is the same...

:S
Err, no. Where did you get that from?

Well, it only asks you for the velocity after 5 minutes so there won't be any sort of fractional constants we have to use, which makes it nice since it gives the motion of the catapiller in a 5 minute time frame. I'll isolate the pieces you want to look at, and see if you can't get it.

ascends 3m and slips down 2m
after 5min

What is the definition of displacement? What is the definition of velocity?

Also, even though .02 m/s would be right, you should use 3 significant figures so it is .0166m/s.

Speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector. In this case, since the motion is in a straight line and positive, yes, speed is the same as velocity!

"ascends 3m" is "positive"
but "slips down 2m" is not...

I think it's not difficult to determine the final and initial positions since the caterpillar ascends 3m and slips down 2m every 300 s.

Mindscrape said:
Err, no. Where did you get that from?

I refer to HallsofIvy

Mindscrape said:
you should use 3 significant figures so it is .0166m/s.

...It is often bad pratice to use more significant numbers in the answer that there is in the question. There were one sign. fig. in the figure and therefore the answer would be 0.02.

robphy said:

yes, but the motion after the stated 5 min is positive and that is what i meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Mattara said:
robphy said:

yes, but the motion after the stated 5 min is positive and that is what i meant. Sorry for the confusion.

What your statement implies is that both the average speed and the average velocity will be positive... but not that they are equal. If the motion is always (that is, for every value of t [treated continuously..not merely intervals]) positive, then average speed can be numerically equal to the average velocity.

The following may helpful:

average velocity depends on displacements (final minus initial position)
average speed depends on distance-travelled (which could be measured by the wear due to friction on your automobile tires [since friction doesn't care if you travel forward or backward])
[These statements can be justified by writing the [real] definitions of average velocity and average speed.]

In this problem, is the [magnitude of the] total displacement equal to the distance travelled?

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the measure of displacement of an object over a specific time period. It is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken.

How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average speed does not. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

What units are used to measure average velocity?

Average velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. This indicates a change in direction during the time period being measured.

How is average velocity used in real life?

Average velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle, determining the displacement of an object, and analyzing the motion of particles in physics experiments.