Nano Focus: Group Theory Involved?

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nano
In summary, Gokul is asking about group theory, which is involved in a lot of different things, and doesn't seem to be involved in focussed ion beam systems.
heman
I don't know where to ask this question but i believe most people stay here so i am doing it..

In focussed ion beam systems,,is group theory involved,,or what kind of maths actually is involved..I have just crossed 2 initial steps of group theory but i met Dresselhaus(http://web.mit.edu/physics/facultyandstaff/faculty/millie_dresselhaus.html) and she presented on "Raman scattering from one dimensional system."(http://www.iconsat2006.com/programmeer17a.htm ) and there in one of sildes she used group theory to estimate some coefficents m,n in nanotubes...i don't remember much..Well i went upto her and asked how is group theory involved..She said "quite a lot"..But in focussed ion beam i haven't seen any group theory..Can anyone give me some intution or anything..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FIB is, just like SEM, an imaging technique. It is quite different from Raman, where group theory can be used to determine if a particular transition has a non-zero amplitude. I don't believe you need much group theory for Ion Beam imaging.

Gokul,,then what kind of maths is holding up there...like the code IGUN ,Superfish which are used treat each ion as discrete entity and how then its working...the author of these codes provide only executable files and i have run both of them but i don't even have a trace of idea what's actually happening...or other people also whom i know don't also know much in this regard..
by the way have you worked with FIB ...which equipment you are using .

I'm not sure if you need to use group theory, but you can apply group theory to a lot of stuff, and I am sure you could find something that you could apply it to in this.

Is anyone here doing any kind of work on focussed ion beams or any thing related to nanoscience..

i am pretty confident that people here do know lot of things but why they are feeling hesitant...may be its one post unlikely to be present in the place where people enjoy..

1. What is group theory and how is it involved in nano focus?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of groups, which are sets of elements with a defined operation. In nano focus, group theory is used to describe and analyze the symmetries and structures of nanomaterials and their properties.

2. Why is group theory important in nanoscience?

Group theory provides a powerful framework for understanding the behavior of nanomaterials, as it allows for the prediction of properties based on their symmetries. This is especially crucial in the design and development of new nanomaterials with specific desired properties.

3. How does group theory help in characterizing and classifying nanomaterials?

Group theory enables the identification and classification of nanomaterials based on their symmetries, which can be determined through various experimental techniques such as X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy. This allows for a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of nanomaterials.

4. Are there any limitations to using group theory in nanoscience?

While group theory is a powerful tool in nanoscience, it does have some limitations. For instance, it assumes perfectly ordered structures and does not account for defects or disorder in nanomaterials. Additionally, it may not be applicable to complex and disordered systems.

5. How does group theory contribute to the advancement of nanotechnology?

Group theory plays a crucial role in the design and development of new nanomaterials for various applications, such as in electronics, energy storage, and medicine. By understanding the symmetries and structures of nanomaterials, scientists can tailor their properties for specific uses, leading to advancements in nanotechnology.