Is Failing Your First Course a Sign of Bad Teaching?

In summary, he never thought this day would happen. He's writing the exam in about an hour and he's clearly going to fail. If he passes, it's clearly a miracle. He doesn't deserve to pass either. He doesn't know anything literally. He worked on it over and over again, but the professor just flat out didn't teach. He's going to learn the material again this summer regardless of passing or not. Passing will merely just save him money and that's it. He'd still have to learn it all over again on his own. He has to take full responsibility for learning this stuff. He wasted 4 months on this class. The school literally ripped him off.
My point was that he could have studied for the tests on his own. If the professor didn't cover anything, there is no way in hell the university is letting him teach an upper-level class (small class, 3.7+'s?), let alone paying him. I'm not trying to be the jackass here, I just don't see how the rest of you are taken in by this. Sounds like he's making a few excuses and petty attacks behind the Internet to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Knavish said:
My point was that he could have studied for the tests on his own. If the professor didn't cover anything, there is no way in hell the university is letting him teach an upper-level class (small class, 3.7+'s?), let alone paying him. I'm not trying to be the jackass here, I just don't see how the rest of you are taken in by this. Sounds like he's making a few excuses and petty attacks behind the Internet to me.

We did twiddle our thumbs the whole class.

I did do my own work. I spent lots of time looking for a good text. I actually found it, and that's great.

I did study for the tests. The tests weren't all that bad because he basically told us what was going to be on it, so we just memorized everything. I can hardly call that understanding anyways.

Petty attack behind the internet? Hmm... look at some past threads that I created. I was genuinely trying to work. It's just I must be given a little bit of direction, which he didn't give at all. And he did not give a course outline.

FOR GOD SAKES HE LEFT US IN A ROOM BY OURSELVES DURING THE EXAM FOR 2 HOURS! AND THEN LEFT FOR THE LAST HOUR!

We could have cheated like cake, but no one dared to because we are good students and all. He was also late for the exam too! He wasn't done photocopying them! We only have 7 students. How hard can that be.

Also, this isn't a petty attack behind the internet. I talked about it with another professor. He was shocked to see a bright student struggle like this, especially considering the fact that I have learned a lot independently. It takes direction though however little it may be. Anyone who denies the need for direction is a fool.

I understand your concerns, but I think you're going to false conclusions here. I'm not your average student who dicks around all day at school.

JasonRox said:
Petty attack behind the internet? Hmm... look at some past threads that I created. I was genuinely trying to work. It's just I must be given a little bit of direction, which he didn't give at all. And he did not give a course outline.

FOR GOD SAKES HE LEFT US IN A ROOM BY OURSELVES DURING THE EXAM FOR 2 HOURS! AND THEN LEFT FOR THE LAST HOUR!
As you obviously feel strongly about this, isn't the point that posting your grievences on the internet not doing much to help the situation.

You should take it up with the powers that be at your institution!

J77 said:
As you obviously feel strongly about this, isn't the point that posting your grievences on the internet not doing much to help the situation.

You should take it up with the powers that be at your institution!

Like I said, I talked about it with a professor.

Yes, I will be doing something about it. I just want to wait until my grades are official first.

Dude, what course was it??

JasonRox said:
Yes, I will be doing something about it. I just want to wait until my grades are official first.
I'm not getting at you, but don't you think it may be too late once the grades are finalised?

And, if you get a good grade will you still take the bad teaching up with your college?

Strike whilst the iron's hot.

J77 said:
I'm not getting at you, but don't you think it may be too late once the grades are finalised?

And, if you get a good grade will you still take the bad teaching up with your college?

Strike whilst the iron's hot.

I just don't want to fail because of my comments.

Good grades mean nothing. I'm doing very bad in philosophy, but the professor is great and I might even take another one of his classes. I learned a lot, and that's what I'm there for.