HELP Howto design power screw drive

In summary, the student needs more information before he can begin designing a power screw device. He needs to know what type of motor, speed, and gearing is available.
Feith
For 10kN vertical load,I just need some instructions to follow and if someone can provide schemes and more details will be great:))))THANKS!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to provide a lot more information before I can begin to visualize the setup. What kind of motor? How fast must it go up? What gearing is available? That sort of stuff.

Well,my coursework says that I need to design a power screw device,the design should be robust,compact and easily transported. The axial load is 10kN and the power screw pass is 160mm. Unfortunately,this is all I have as information from my tutor and as far as I know it shoul be some sort of lifting device.I just need something for a start,e.g. when I have two threads which diameters should be calculated and how should I chose the type of the thread.

Homework needs to be posted in the homework section.

What work have you done to this point? Before getting into details like thread forms, have you done the basics like column buckling or making sure your base will not collapse under the weight? Do you have a basic design in mind?

I know it sounds really stupid,but the main problem is that I just don't know where to start from,the tutor just told me and my colleagues to design a power screw device,I thing for lifting cars,when repearing them,and gave me the two already mentioned parameters.On our tutorials there were no explanations about what should be calculated exactly and how, the idea was to find out by ourselves.And so I'm reading here articles on the net and looking for some clues,but for now I only find bits and pieces and I can't summirize the whole stuff together.And because of that my question becomes a real mess:))

Feith said:
I know it sounds really stupid,but the main problem is that I just don't know where to start from,the tutor just told me and my colleagues to design a power screw device,I thing for lifting cars,when repearing them,and gave me the two already mentioned parameters.On our tutorials there were no explanations about what should be calculated exactly and how, the idea was to find out by ourselves.And so I'm reading here articles on the net and looking for some clues,but for now I only find bits and pieces and I can't summirize the whole stuff together.And because of that my question becomes a real mess:))
What level of schooling are you at?

Awesome links, Fred. Those are going to come in mighty handy for some of my misc. tinkering projects. Believe it or not, I've never heard of a 'buttress form' thread before.

Feith said:
Well,my coursework says that I need to design a power screw device,the design should be robust,compact and easily transported. The axial load is 10kN and the power screw pass is 160mm. Unfortunately,this is all I have as information from my tutor and as far as I know it shoul be some sort of lifting device.I just need something for a start,e.g. when I have two threads which diameters should be calculated and how should I chose the type of the thread.

I have the same exact project right now and I need to finish by this friday.. I found a few links but I need like a small video tutorial to help me out.. Or just anything anyone can help me with..

1. What is a power screw drive?

A power screw drive is a type of mechanical device that uses a screw thread to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It is commonly used in machine tools, automotive engines, and other applications where precise and powerful linear motion is needed.

2. How does a power screw drive work?

A power screw drive works by using the helical thread of a screw to convert rotational motion into linear motion. When the screw is turned, it moves in or out of a nut or other threaded component, causing it to move in a linear direction. The pitch of the screw thread determines the amount of linear motion achieved per revolution of the screw.

3. What are the advantages of using a power screw drive?

One of the main advantages of using a power screw drive is its ability to provide precise and controlled linear motion. It also has a high power transmission capability and can handle heavy loads. Additionally, power screw drives are relatively simple and cost-effective compared to other types of linear motion systems.

4. How do I design a power screw drive?

Designing a power screw drive involves selecting the appropriate screw and nut type, determining the required pitch and thread dimensions, and considering factors such as load, speed, and accuracy requirements. It is important to also consider the materials and lubrication used to ensure efficient and reliable operation.

5. What are some common applications of power screw drives?

Power screw drives have a wide range of applications, including in machine tools, automotive engines, robotics, packaging equipment, and other industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in household appliances such as garage door openers and adjustable beds.