Velocity of an ion given the potential difference it is accelerated through?

In summary, to find the mass of an ion, you need to determine its velocity, and then use the equation B=1.2T to find its mass.
runran
I'm trying to find the mass of an unknown ion and I think the equation I'm down to to find the mass only requires me to determine the velocity before I can calculate mass -- but I don't know how.

Could anyone help me out and direct me to an equation(s) that would help me find the velocity of some ion given that it was accelerated through a potential difference of 7.0 kV before entering a magnetic field? I'm not familiar with how to find the velocity with just that info. Don't know if this would be relevant, but B=1.2 T.

Sorry, I'm just clueless. (Don't even know if it is possible to calculate velocity with that... if it's not, please tell me ^^;) Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
runran said:
I'm trying to find the mass of an unknown ion and I think the equation I'm down to to find the mass only requires me to determine the velocity before I can calculate mass -- but I don't know how.

Could anyone help me out and direct me to an equation(s) that would help me find the velocity of some ion given that it was accelerated through a potential difference of 7.0 kV before entering a magnetic field? I'm not familiar with how to find the velocity with just that info. Don't know if this would be relevant, but B=1.2 T.

Sorry, I'm just clueless. (Don't even know if it is possible to calculate velocity with that... if it's not, please tell me ^^;) Thank you.

It's conservation of energy. What you need to know is that if a charge q is accelerated through a potential difference Delta V, then its kinetic energy is equal to simply the absolute value of q times (Delta V). So just set that equal to 1/2 mv^2 and this gives you an equation relating the mass and the speed.

EDIT: This assumes that the ion had no speed before being accelerated through the potential difference otherwise q Delta V is the change of kinetic energy. And it also assumes that potential of the plates is such that the ion is sped up, not slowed down. But those two assumptions are usually implicit in this type of problem.

Last edited:
nrqed said:
What you need to know is that if a charge q is accelerated through a potential difference Delta V, then its kinetic energy is equal to simply the absolute value of q times (Delta V). So just set that equal to 1/2 mv^2 and this gives you an equation relating the mass and the speed.
Just further to what nrqed said, you could work this fact out using the defintion of voltage. When energy is conserved, work done = change in kinetic energy. Now, a defintion of voltage is work done per unit charge, and mathematically is;

[tex]V = \frac{\text{work}}{q}[/tex]

and this can be regarranged to obtain;

[tex]\text{work} = V\times q[/tex]

Ok, thanks to you both =) I think I can hash out an answer now.

runran said:
Ok, thanks to you both =) I think I can hash out an answer now.
Well, here's the place to ask if you want something explained. :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an ion based on the potential difference it is accelerated through?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an ion is v = √(2qV/m), where v is the velocity, q is the charge of the ion, V is the potential difference, and m is the mass of the ion.

2. How does the potential difference affect the velocity of an ion?

The potential difference is directly proportional to the velocity of an ion. This means that as the potential difference increases, the velocity of the ion also increases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the velocity of an ion?

The velocity of an ion is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. Can the velocity of an ion be negative?

Yes, the velocity of an ion can be negative if the ion is decelerating. This means that the ion is losing velocity as it moves through the potential difference.

5. How does the mass of the ion affect its velocity?

The mass of the ion is inversely proportional to its velocity. This means that as the mass of the ion increases, its velocity decreases.