Dirac Lagrangian not invariant under rotations?

In summary, the conversation is about rotations in the context of the Dirac equation. The solution to being able to do equations in a post with LaTeX is to use the full rotation instead of an infinitesimal one. The Lagrangian used is symmetric with respect to psi and psi-bar and a rotation of the four-spinor around the z-axis is given by a particular representation of the gamma matrices. However, the effect of the rotation on the gamma matrices has been neglected and further discussion is needed to fully understand the concept of spin.
pellman
First, I need to be able to do equations in my post but it has been a long time since I posted here. Someone please point me to a resource that gives the how-to.

If you make a infinitesimal rotation of the free-field Lagrangian for the Dirac equation, you get an extra term because the Dirac gamma matrices and the rotation generator do not commute. I'll show you when I can. So what do we make of this?

There is more to the question, and I know it has something to do with the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector operator. Anything you can tell me about the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector would also be appreciated.

Todd

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is to use the full rotation, rather than the infinitesimal one, which isn't a full rotation.

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\bar{\psi}\left(i\gamma^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\psi [/tex]
[tex]\psi\rightarrow\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}\psi[/tex] (Ignoring the transformation of the coordinate dependence of the Dirac spinor)
[tex]\bar{\psi}\rightarrow\psi^{\dagger}\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}^{\dagger}\gamma^0=\bar{\psi}\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]\mathcal{L}\rightarrow\bar{\psi}\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}^{-1}\left(i\gamma^{\mu '}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\mu '}\partial_{\mu}-m\right)\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}\psi[/tex]

Which is exactly the same as the original Lagrangian density because

[tex]\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}^{-1}\gamma^{\mu '}\Lambda_{\frac{1}{2}}=\Lambda^{\mu '}_{\nu}\gamma^{\nu}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, Perturbation. I'll get back as soon as I can figure out doing equations with LaTeX.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and be verbose. At least I get to have fun with the LaTeX. Maybe someone here can explain where I am going wrong.

The Lagrangian I am using is

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{i}{2}\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}\psi)-\frac{i}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}\psi-m\bar{\psi}\psi[/tex]

so that it is symmetric with respect to psi and psi-bar. Just seemed to sit well with me.

In the particular representation in which the gamma matrices take the form

[tex]\gamma^{0}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&1\\1&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\gamma^{j}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&-\sigma_{j}\\\sigma_{j}&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

a rotation of the four-spinor around the z-axis is given by

[tex]\psi\rightarrow\left(\begin{array}{cc}e^{\frac{i}{2}\sigma_{z}\theta}&0\\0&e^{\frac{i}{2}\sigma_{z}\theta}\end{array}\right)\psi[/tex].

For infinitesimal rotations this is

[tex]\psi\rightarrow\left[1+\frac{i}{2}\left(\begin{array}{cc}\sigma_{z}&0\\0&\sigma_{z}\end{array}\right)\theta\right]\psi[/tex].

or

[tex]\delta\psi=\frac{i}{2}\tau_{z}\theta\psi[/tex]

where

[tex]\tau_{z}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\sigma_{z}&0\\0&\sigma_{z}\end{array}\right)[/tex].

The conjugate is

[tex]\delta\bar{\psi}=-\frac{i}{2}\theta\bar{\psi}\tau_{z}[/tex].

Here we go.

[tex]\delta\mathcal{L}=\frac{i}{2}\delta\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}\psi)+\frac{i}{2}\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}\delta\psi)-\frac{i}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\delta\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}\psi-\frac{i}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}\delta\psi-m\delta\bar{\psi}\psi-m\bar{\psi}\delta\psi[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{4}\theta\bar{\psi}\tau_{z}\gamma^{\mu}(\partial_{\mu}\psi)-\frac{1}{4}\theta\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\tau_{z}(\partial_{\mu}\psi)-\frac{1}{4}\theta(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\tau_{z}\gamma^{\mu}\psi+\frac{1}{4}(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}\tau_{z}\theta\psi+0[/tex]

[tex]\delta\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{4}\theta\bar{\psi}[\tau_{z},\gamma^{\mu}](\partial_{\mu}\psi)-\frac{1}{4}\theta(\partial_{\mu}\bar{\psi})[\tau_{z},\gamma^{\mu}]\psi[/tex]

and [tex][\tau_{z},\gamma^{\mu}]\neq0[/tex]

Last edited:
Also, I ignored "the transformation of the coordinate dependence of the Dirac spinor" above just as Perturbation did in his post. The result of the coordinate part of the transformation results in a term in the transformed Lagrangian which is the expected scalar transformation. The remaining [tex]\delta\mathcal{L}[/tex] in my calculation above should vanish if [tex]\mathcal{L}[/tex] is a scalar under rotations.

Looking at Perturbation's post, apparently I have neglected the effect of the rotation on the gamma matrices. I'll have to think on that for a while.

Todd

Last edited:
The gamma matrices don't change, you just defined what they are. But what happens with [tex]\partial_\mu[/tex] under a Lorentz transformation?

Thanks. I have to spend some more time thinking about rotations. The question of this thread came out trying to understand spin as discussed in my next thread: What is spin?

1. What is the Dirac Lagrangian and why is it important?

The Dirac Lagrangian is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. It is an important tool in quantum field theory and is used to study the interactions between particles at the subatomic level.

2. Why is the Dirac Lagrangian not invariant under rotations?

The Dirac Lagrangian is not invariant under rotations because it includes terms that involve the spin of the fermions. These terms break the symmetry of the Lagrangian under rotations, meaning that it does not remain the same after a rotation is applied.

3. How does the lack of rotational invariance affect the behavior of fermions?

The lack of rotational invariance in the Dirac Lagrangian means that the behavior of fermions is not the same in all directions. This can lead to anisotropic behavior, where the properties of fermions differ depending on their orientation in space.

4. Can the Dirac Lagrangian be modified to account for rotational invariance?

Yes, the Dirac Lagrangian can be modified to include additional terms that restore rotational invariance. These terms are known as gauge fields and are used to describe the interactions between fermions and other particles, such as photons and gluons.

5. How does the Dirac Lagrangian contribute to our understanding of fundamental particles?

The Dirac Lagrangian is an important tool in quantum field theory and is used to study the behavior of fundamental particles. It helps us understand the interactions between different types of particles and how they behave at the subatomic level. Additionally, it has been successful in predicting the existence and properties of new particles, such as the Higgs boson.