Water evaporating from my hand in the cold.

In summary, during a conversation about playing in the snow without gloves, it was noted that the water on a person's hand began evaporating due to the random motion of water molecules and the difference in concentration between the hand and the air. The boiling point of water is always given as an absolute number, but there is a chart and information available on the variation of boiling point with elevation and barometric pressure.
wasteofo2
Recently I was playing in the snow without gloves. I made a snowball and the residual water on my hand began evaporating and was visible, much the way your breath is in the cold.

Why did the water do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Water evaporated there for the same reason it evaporates anywhere - due to the random motion of the water molecules, some reach the energy needed to boil.

There are a couple of things going on. First your hand is a source of heat, so you were heating the water, then I am betting that it was pretty cold out and the humidity was pretty low. So in essence the water diffused from the high concentration in your hand to the lower concentration in the air.

So then why is the boiling point of water always given as an absolute number instead of there being some sort of formula to decide when water boils/evaporates?

b.p. --- vapor pressure equals one atmosphere. Vapor pressure increases with temperature; lower than b.p., evaporation occurs without boiling so long as the partial pressure of water in a one atmosphere total gas pressure atmosphere above liquid water is less than the vapor pressure; higher than b.p. requires that pressure be maintained at least as great as the vapor pressure for the liquid phase to exist.

Originally posted by wasteofo2
So then why is the boiling point of water always given as an absolute number instead of there being some sort of formula to decide when water boils/evaporates?
No formula, but there is a chart: PHASE DIAGRAM

Do some googling and you will find a lot of information on the variation of boiling point with elevation and barametric pressure.

1. Why does water evaporate from my hand in the cold?

Water evaporates from your hand in the cold because of the difference in temperature between your hand and the surrounding air. The cold air causes the water molecules on the surface of your hand to lose energy and turn into a gas, which is known as evaporation.

2. Does water always evaporate in the cold?

Yes, water can still evaporate in cold temperatures. The rate of evaporation may be slower in colder temperatures, but it is still possible for water to turn into a gas even in cold environments.

3. How does evaporation affect the temperature of my hand?

Evaporation has a cooling effect on the temperature of your hand. As the water evaporates, it takes energy from your hand in order to turn into a gas, causing your hand to feel cooler.

4. Is there a limit to how much water can evaporate from my hand in the cold?

Yes, there is a limit to how much water can evaporate from your hand in the cold. Once the surrounding air becomes saturated with water vapor, the rate of evaporation will slow down and eventually stop.

5. Can the humidity affect the rate of evaporation in the cold?

Yes, humidity can affect the rate of evaporation in the cold. Higher humidity levels mean that the air is already saturated with water vapor, which can slow down the evaporation process. On the other hand, lower humidity levels can lead to a faster rate of evaporation in the cold.