Free Falling (dynamics question)

• Thread starter Raging Dragon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the point at which the kinetic energy of a skydiver is equal to the energy dissipated by the drag force while falling from a height of 9570.7m. The equations used include Fdrag=-m*b*v-m*b^2*v^2 and m*g=Fdrag, and the solution involves finding the time and distance fallen. The energy dissipated by the drag force is found by integrating the force over the distance fallen, which is the negative of the work it does on the diver. The variables involved are force, velocity, and time.
Raging Dragon

Homework Statement

A sky diver jumps off a plane that is at 9570.7m above the earth. Assuming a combination of stokes and Newtonian drag, where Fdrag=-m*b*v-m*b^2*v^2 and assume constant g=9.81, at what point is the KE of the skydiver equal to the energy dissapated by the drag force?

Homework Equations

Equating mg=Fdrag one can find b quite easily.

I've derived through solving a nonlinear ODE Fnet=m*vdot=m*g-m*b*v-m*b^2*v^ 2 that

v(t)=-10.10573478+64.10573477*tanh(.1569282379*t+.1589673340)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that Gravitational Potential energy is =m*g*h=m*9.81*9570.7

Then I figure that PE=GPE (initially) for max h.

then when the sky diver jumps that PE=GPE+KE+Drag Energy

Now my question is to find the drag energy, do I integrate F_drag with respect to v, or t?

Then I take it that you need to also determine the time and distance fallen for this to happen, so then you goet PE-GPE=KE+Drag Energy and then KE=Drag Energy=(PE-GPE)/2

This make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy dissipated by the drag force is the negative of the (negative) work it does on the diver, which is the integral of the force over the distance the diver falls.

Thanks for explaining what the boundary of the integral is, but against which variable if I have force as a function of velocity, and I have velocity as a function time?

What is free falling?

Free falling is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity only, meaning there is no other force acting on it.

What is the acceleration of a free-falling object?

The acceleration of a free-falling object is 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2), which is also known as the acceleration due to gravity.

Why do all objects fall at the same rate in a vacuum?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so all objects experience the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass. This is known as the principle of equivalence.

How does air resistance affect free falling objects?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the acceleration of a free-falling object because it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. Eventually, the force of air resistance will equal the force of gravity and the object will reach a maximum speed, known as terminal velocity.

What factors can affect the motion of a free-falling object?

The factors that can affect the motion of a free-falling object include air resistance, mass of the object, and altitude. Objects with a larger surface area or greater mass will experience more air resistance, while objects at higher altitudes will have a lower acceleration due to the decrease in gravity.