Where to go next? did the intro to analysis

In summary, the individual has completed an introductory course in analysis and is looking to advance their knowledge on their own. They are considering three options for further study: Fleming's "Functions of Several Variables," Kreyzig's "Introductory Functional Analysis," and Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds." After receiving suggestions, they have decided to start with Kreyzig's book as it seems more accessible. They hope to eventually be able to master Spivak's book, but acknowledge it may take some time.
octol
Ok I've done an introductary course in analysis using the first 2/3 of Parzynski and Zipse - Introduction to Mathematical Analysis. This (I think) is about equivalent to Rudin up and including chap 7 (series of functions).

I probably won't have time to take any more classes in mathematics as I'm more of a theoretical physicist, but I'd still try to advance my knowledge in analysis a bit on my own. The problem is I don't know in which direction I should continue.

So far I'm considering one of the following options:

1) Fleming - Functions of Several Variables

2) Kreyzig - Introductory Functional analysis

3) Spivak - Calculus on Manifolds

The criteria is that it can't be too big a step up as I'm not a mathematician and I'll be studying on my own. Kreyzig looks very nice from that aspect, while Spivak seems scary.

Anybody has any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have all of the books that you listed as options, but I have none of them with me right now.

It might be useful to study, in some book, the material in chapter 9 of Blue Rudin. This stuff is probably covered in both Fleming and Spivak. Even though Spivak is a wonderful book, Fleming's treatment is probably more accessible.

Kreyzig was the text for a course that I took, and I think it would make a great self-study text. Studying Kreyzig would give you a good grounding (Better than many physicsts receive!) in the mathematics that underlies quantum theory.

Thanks for the help. So I will probably start by reading Kreyszig, it doesn't seem as scary as the others. At least one day I hope I'll be able to master the book by Spivak, but that day seems far away...

1. Where should I go for my next research project?

Choosing a research project location can be a difficult decision. It is important to consider your area of expertise, available resources, and potential impact of your research. You may also want to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their recommendations.

2. How do I decide between different research destinations?

When deciding between different research destinations, it is important to weigh the pros and cons of each location. Consider factors such as funding opportunities, access to necessary equipment or materials, and the potential for collaboration with other researchers. You may also want to consider the cultural and geographic factors of each location.

3. What are some up-and-coming research destinations?

There are many up-and-coming research destinations that are gaining attention in the scientific community. Some examples include emerging economies with growing scientific infrastructure, remote and unique locations such as the Arctic or deep sea, and areas with high biodiversity or unique geological features. It is important to stay updated on current trends and developments in the scientific community to identify potential new research destinations.

4. How can I secure funding for research in a specific location?

Securing funding for research in a specific location can be challenging, but there are several options available. You can apply for research grants from organizations, universities, or government agencies. You can also seek out private funding or collaborate with other researchers who may have access to funding. Additionally, some countries or regions offer incentives or support for foreign researchers conducting research in their location.

5. What are the key considerations when planning a research trip to a new location?

When planning a research trip to a new location, there are several key considerations to keep in mind. These include obtaining necessary permits or visas, understanding the local culture and customs, ensuring access to necessary resources and equipment, and taking into account potential safety concerns. It may also be helpful to connect with local researchers or organizations to gain insight and guidance for conducting research in the area.