Multiprocessor Workstation Motherboards

• Thread starter RJ Emery
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the search for suitable hardware to build a parallel computer in a single box capable of handling Grand Challenge-type computations. The person is specifically looking for motherboards that can handle up to eight processors, either eight single-core or four dual-core. They have searched for options on Google and have found some options, such as Dell selling fully configured systems and a list of motherboards that can run Linux and Windows. The conversation also mentions the need for software to run the system and how to ensure all processors are fully utilized. It is noted that Opteron may be a better option than Xeon for this type of system.
RJ Emery
I am interested in mobos that can handle up to eight processors, either eight single-core or more desirably four dual-core processors. The intent is to build a parallel computer in a single box. Mobos that I can find which handle multiple processors seem to be optimized for server applications, while my goal is a single user workstation capable of handling Grand Challenge-type computations.

Anyone know of suitable off-the-shelf hardware for building such a computer?

And the software to run it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
RJ Emery said:
I am interested in mobos that can handle up to eight processors, either eight single-core or more desirably four dual-core processors. The intent is to build a parallel computer in a single box. Mobos that I can find which handle multiple processors seem to be optimized for server applications, while my goal is a single user workstation capable of handling Grand Challenge-type computations.

Anyone know of suitable off-the-shelf hardware for building such a computer?

And the software to run it?
Sure, motherboards that can run 8 processors are already out.
For instance (without specifically endorsing this place) they sell them fully configured at Dell.

Or if you want to build yourself just google "dual quad core xeon" and you get a list of motherboards.

And this configuration runs Linux and Windows.

RJ Emery said:
Mobos that I can find which handle multiple processors seem to be optimized for server applications
Not sure what you mean when you say that.

Clearly you would not want to run some single threaded program on a box with 8 processors. :smile:

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Sure, motherboards that can run 8 processors are already out. For instance (without specifically endorsing this place) they sell them fully configured at Dell. Or if you want to build yourself just google "dual quad core xeon" and you get a list of motherboards. And this configuration runs Linux and Windows.
Opteron would be of more interest than Xeon, but regardless, I have not found motherboards, using Google or other means, that can be populated with one to N processors -- single-, dual- or quad-core. I would not be surprised if two or more Extended ATX mobos would be required, but then I don't see how they could be coupled.

I can easily build a quad processor system, but how do I build an eight processor system? And regardless of the number of cores or processors, how do I know all are truly being fully utilized?

RJ Emery said:
Opteron would be of more interest than Xeon, but regardless, I have not found motherboards, using Google or other means, that can be populated with one to N processors -- single-, dual- or quad-core. I would not be surprised if two or more Extended ATX mobos would be required, but then I don't see how they could be coupled.

I can easily build a quad processor system, but how do I build an eight processor system? And regardless of the number of cores or processors, how do I know all are truly being fully utilized?
As I wrote before there are motherboards with two processor slots, so you can populate each with a quad core processor.

An 8 processor option with intel is currently faster than an 8 processor AMD solution. But both companies are playing catch up with each other so in a few months the roles may have switched.

RJ Emery said:
And regardless of the number of cores or processors, how do I know all are truly being fully utilized?
It depends on the way you write your program. You need at least 8 threads in the above configuration, but that is just the start, you need to think of things like locking and cache misses.

Last edited:

What is a multiprocessor workstation motherboard?

A multiprocessor workstation motherboard is a type of computer motherboard that supports multiple processors, allowing for increased performance and multitasking capabilities.

How many processors can a multiprocessor workstation motherboard support?

This can vary depending on the specific motherboard, but most multiprocessor workstation motherboards can support anywhere from 2 to 8 processors.

What are the benefits of using a multiprocessor workstation motherboard?

The main benefit of a multiprocessor workstation motherboard is the increased processing power and performance. This is especially useful for tasks that require a lot of computing power, such as video editing or 3D rendering.

Can any processor be used with a multiprocessor workstation motherboard?

No, not all processors are compatible with multiprocessor workstation motherboards. It is important to check the motherboard's specifications to ensure compatibility with the desired processor.

Are there any downsides to using a multiprocessor workstation motherboard?

One potential downside is the cost, as these motherboards and the processors they support can be more expensive than traditional single-processor motherboards. Additionally, not all software and applications are optimized to take advantage of multiple processors, so the full potential of the motherboard may not always be utilized.