Anyone help? proximity sensors and guitars

• Thread starter deadstar22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensors
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of incorporating a sensor into a guitar to alter the pitch or cut out the sound, similar to a kill-switch. The possibility of using capacity switches or distortion pedals for this purpose is mentioned, as well as the use of proxy sensors in industrial automation. The discussion also touches on the use of a whammy pedal for bending pitch and the relevance of MIDI in recording guitar work directly into a computer.
deadstar22
hey guys, i don't know if I am in the right part of the forum, but i have an idea and i need your help... i know nothing about physics :confused:

my idea is to build a sensor into a guitar which could alter the pitch or cut out the sound, like a kill-switch for example.

anything is possible... right?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can buy capasity switches as standard component. (Most of them are made for industrial purposes and not for guitars.)

Some of them has the ability to adjust the sensivity.

When you move your hand near the switch or on to the switch it will operate depending on sensivity.

They are not very expensive as they are commonly used for industrial automation purposes.

Last edited:
They have distrotion pedals that would have the same basic effect. Or am I totally off?

I have no idea about music instruments, but I know quite sure that proxy sensors are somethig quite common in industrial automation. There are basically two types capasic that reacts to any material comming near and inductive that reacts on magnetic metals. Then there is also some "a little bit simular design" that are using ultra sound that work on longer distances.

Make contact on a company related to industrial automation and take a look.

If you wanted to cut out all sound you could have a recycling scuba tank and play in a vacuum. Just kidding! When you said killswitch did you mean to cut the sound from an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar?

wow, thanks for the interest guys, all seems interesting.

There are pedals that do this, the one I am interested in is the whammy pedal (it can bend the pitch up and down)

http://www.digitech.com/products/whammy.htm

and yes, an electric guitar, much easier than acoustic for effects.

i have a kill switch already on my guitar, which basically disconnects a link between the power supply and the pickups (which pick-up the sounds the strings make)

im guessing i need to add things to this circuit, such as some kind of circuitboard chip thing that has the effect on it and link it to a sensor or a 'capacity switch', is it that easy? surely not... (will it need resistors and its own power supply?)

also does midi mean anything to you and do you think it is relevant to this?

thanks guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midi" [Broken]. It'd be relevant if you intend to record your guitar work inputting directly into a computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are proximity sensors and how do they work?

Proximity sensors are electronic devices that can detect the presence of objects or people within a certain distance. They emit an electromagnetic field and measure the changes in the field when an object enters its range. This information is then used to trigger a response, such as turning on a light or activating an alarm.

2. How can proximity sensors be used with guitars?

Proximity sensors can be used with guitars to create unique effects and control the sound of the instrument. They can be placed on the guitar's body or neck to detect the movement of the player's hands and adjust parameters such as volume, tone, or effects. They can also be used to trigger MIDI signals, allowing for a wider range of sounds and effects.

3. Are proximity sensors compatible with all types of guitars?

Yes, proximity sensors can be used with any type of guitar, including electric, acoustic, and bass guitars. However, the placement and installation of the sensors may vary depending on the specific guitar and the desired effect.

4. Can proximity sensors be used for live performances?

Yes, proximity sensors can be used for live performances to add a dynamic and interactive element to the music. They can be integrated into a guitar's effects pedal board or connected to a computer or MIDI controller for real-time manipulation of the sound.

5. How do I install proximity sensors on my guitar?

The installation process may vary depending on the type of guitar and the specific sensors being used. It's best to consult with a professional or follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. In general, the sensors can be attached using adhesive or by drilling holes and mounting them onto the guitar's surface.