Experiment involving Coke and PC Cola

In summary: If the weight of the can is greater than the weight of the displaced water then it will sink.In summary, the experiment conducted by the teacher showed that Pepsi and Coke cans, including diet versions, sank to the bottom of a tub full of water while a PC Cola can floated. This is because artificial sweeteners used in sugar-free drinks require less mass to match the sweetness of sugar, making the fluid weigh the same as water. The small amount of gas in the can provides buoyancy for the PC Cola can to float. The difference in density could also be due to the material of the can or the amount of syrup used in the drink. The overall density of the can and liquid is what determines whether it will sink or float
anniw
My teacher conducted an experiment in which he dispersed pop cans into a tub full of water. When he dispersed Pepsi cans and Coke cans (including diet) they both sank to the bottom. Contrastingly, when he dispersed the PC Cola can, it floated. I tried finding answers to why this happened but I wasn't sucessful. Does anyone have an explanation to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
anniw said:
My teacher conducted an experiment in which he dispersed pop cans into a tub full of water. When he dispersed Pepsi cans and Coke cans (including diet) they both sank to the bottom. Contrastingly, when he dispersed the PC Cola can, it floated. I tried finding answers to why this happened but I wasn't sucessful. Does anyone have an explanation to this?
Assuming PC cola is sugar free, it's because artificial sweeteners require a very small amount of mass to equal the sweetness of sugar, so that the fluid weighs about the same as water. The small amount of gas in the cans results in enough bouyancy for the sugar free cans to float, in spite of the weight of the can. The sugar based drinks are denser than water, and they sink, because the small amount of gas doesn't compensate for the increased weight of the sugar water.

It seems PC cola is less dense than water, whereas the other brands not. Does a can of PC cola weigh the same as other brands in same volume cans? If yes, then I guess PC cola reacts in some way chemically with water so as to make it less dense.

Edit: I thought when you meant disperse, you were talking about pouring the colas into the water.
If you meant whole cans, I think Jeff's explanation is right on the mark.

Last edited:
It could also depend on what material the can was made out of. Some companies still use steel and others use aluminium. If all the cans are the same material then there will be something that is in coke and pepsi drinks both diet and normal that makes them more dense than the PC cola. Perhaps PC cola doesn't fill their cans up as much etc.

Putting entire sealed cans in is just a function of the density of the liquid in the cans. I would guess that the PC Cola is cheaper and simply has a higher percentage of water and less syrup in it.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

p.s. Lite Beer floats.

arunbg said:
It seems PC cola is less dense than water
PC Cola plus the small amount of gas are less dense than water. PC cola will be slightly denser than water, but as mentioned, the small amount of gas is enough to compensate for the density of can and cola.

CraigD said:
Putting entire sealed cans in is just a function of the density of the liquid in the cans.

I would have to disagree and say that the density of the whole can and liquid is what is important. The displaced water has to be able to support the weight of the can and the liquid inside.

1. What is the purpose of the experiment involving Coke and PC Cola?

The purpose of this experiment is to compare and contrast the chemical composition and taste of two popular cola brands, Coke and PC Cola.

2. How will the experiment be conducted?

The experiment will involve blind taste tests with a group of participants, as well as analyzing the ingredients and nutritional information of both Coke and PC Cola. The results will be compared and discussed to draw conclusions.

3. What are the expected outcomes of the experiment?

The expected outcomes of the experiment are to determine if there are any significant differences in taste and ingredients between Coke and PC Cola, and to understand how these differences may affect consumer preferences.

4. What safety precautions should be taken during the experiment?

All participants should be aware of any potential allergies to ingredients in the colas and should avoid consumption if necessary. The experiment should also be conducted in a well-ventilated area and any spills should be cleaned up immediately.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real life?

The results of this experiment can be used by companies to better understand consumer preferences and make informed decisions about their product. It can also be a useful learning tool for understanding the science behind food and beverage production.