Differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation

• Thread starter jones106
  • Start date
In summary, there are three main types of centrifugation used for separating cellular components: differential, isopycnic, and rate zonal. These methods rely on different principles such as sedimentation coefficient, buoyant density, and S-value to separate components based on size, mass, and shape. While isopycnic and rate zonal were initially used for separating nucleic acids, they can also be used for proteins. However, column chromatography is the preferred method for separating proteins from other proteins. It is important to use the same method as the original research in order to compare and replicate results accurately.
jones106
Hey guys, I'm a little confused about these types of centrifugation. Here is what I know about them: Differential centrifugation is a good way to roughly separate cellular components based on their sedimentation coefficient (which is based on mass and shape). Larger and more massive components will sediment at lower speeds, while smaller components require higher centrifugal force.
Isopycnic uses a gradient of CsCl to separate based on buoyant densities. More dense components will equilibrate in the more dense regions of the CsCl while the less dense components will equilibrate in the less dense regions of the CsCl.
Rate zonal separates components based on their S-value, which determines how quickly the particles under investigation will move through a sucrose gradient.

First of all, do I basically have the right idea about these methods?
Secondly, the book we are using in Biochem. doesn't say much about these methods, so I turned to my old Cell Bio. book. This book seems to imply that Isopycnic and Rate Zonal are only used for separating nucleic acids. Can these methods be used for separating proteins from other proteins?

Sorry for the long-windedness, but I just feel like I am missing something important here. Sorry again, I just realized I posted this in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance,
Taylor

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
You have the right basic idea.

IMO:
The reason for the separation (no pun itended) of the methods is somewhat historical. Early RNA researchers, like Dubin and others, used stratified sucrose and then reported distibutions of particles over time. Once they standardized times, densities, and g forces, they knew they were talking, more or less, about similar nucleic acid extracts.

You can use any method you want, but reporting results and correlating what you get with other research requires using the same methods as the original research - or developing some clearly reproducible way of doing comparisons between your data and somebody else's. Which basically means you'd have to duplicate somebody else's research data using your methods, I guess.

There are other standard ways of reporting on protein extracts, as I recall.

jones106 said:
Can these methods be used for separating proteins from other proteins?

I believe column chromatography is the preferred method for doing this.

1. What is differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation?

Differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation is a laboratory technique used to separate and purify different components of a sample based on their density. It involves spinning the sample at high speeds in a centrifuge, causing the denser components to move towards the bottom of the tube while the lighter components remain at the top.

2. How does differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation work?

The principle behind differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation is based on the fact that denser particles will settle at the bottom of the tube faster than lighter particles. By adjusting the speed and duration of the centrifugation, different components of the sample can be separated and collected at different levels in the tube.

3. What is the difference between differential, isopycnic, and rate zonal centrifugation?

Differential centrifugation separates components based on their size and density differences, while isopycnic centrifugation separates components based on their buoyant density. Rate zonal centrifugation, on the other hand, separates components based on their sedimentation rate. Each technique is used for different types of samples and has its own advantages and limitations.

4. What types of samples are suitable for differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation?

Differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation can be used for a wide range of samples, including cells, organelles, proteins, and nucleic acids. However, the suitability of each technique depends on the specific properties of the sample, such as size, density, and solubility.

5. What are the applications of differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation?

Differential/isopycnic/rate zonal centrifugation is an important technique in various fields of science, including biochemistry, molecular biology, and microbiology. It is commonly used for sample preparation, purification, and analysis, as well as for studying the structure and function of biological molecules and organelles.