Finite Sheets of Charge Compared to Infinite Sheets of Charge

In summary, the electric field at the point x=a/2 on the x-axis will differ by 1 percent from the result n/epsilon_0 for infinite sheets if the plate separation R/a is equal to .99(n/epsilon_0).
Gaupp

Homework Statement

6bjqsgn.jpg

Consider two thin disks, of negligible thickness, of radius R oriented perpendicular to the x-axis such that the x-axis runs through the center of each disk. The disk centered at x=0 has positive charge density n, and the disk centered at x=a has negative charge density -n, where the charge density is charge per unit area.

For what value of the ratio R/a of plate radius to separation between the plates does the electric field at the point x=a/2 on the x-axis differ by 1 percent from the result n/epsilon_0 for infinite sheets?

Homework Equations

E(disk_x) = n/(2epsilon_0) * (1-((x)/(sqrt(x^2 + R^2))))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the electric field at x=a/2 to be:

E(disk_x) = 2*(n/(2*epsilon_0) * (1-((.5a)/(sqrt((.5a)^2 + R^2))))

However, I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I work the above equation to get what R/a is equal to and then set it equal to .99*(n/epsilon_0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gaupp said:
I have found the electric field at x=a/2 to be:

E(disk_x) = 2*(n/(2*epsilon_0) * (1-((.5a)/(sqrt((.5a)^2 + R^2))))
Set that expression equal to .99*(n/epsilon_0) and solve for R/a. (Hint: First rewrite that expression in terms of R/a.)

So now I have:

Sorry this is going to be messy...

R/a = sqrt(.25*((1-((epsilon_0*E)/n))^-2)-.25) = .99(n/(epsilon_0))

How do I deal with the E? If I sub in the other equation won't that just negate everything? I'm also asked to give the answer to two significant digits, but I don't see how the R/a ratio is going to give me numbers without that E still in it.

Help me out Doc please :)

Okay I got it on my own.

Using the %difference = (E_infinite - E)/(E_infinite)

Since E = n/epsilon_0 * (1-((.5a)/(sqrt((.5a)^2 + R^2)))) approaces n/epsilon_0 as R/a approaches infinity you can plug in n/epsilon_0 for E_infinite and the original equation for E. Solving this for %difference = .01 you arrive at R/a = 50.

Nasty little problem...

1. What is the difference between finite and infinite sheets of charge?

The main difference between finite and infinite sheets of charge is the size of the sheet. A finite sheet of charge has a finite length and width, while an infinite sheet of charge extends infinitely in all directions.

2. How does the electric field differ between finite and infinite sheets of charge?

The electric field of a finite sheet of charge is not constant throughout, unlike an infinite sheet of charge where the electric field is constant at all points. This is because the charge is distributed over a finite area in a finite sheet, resulting in a non-uniform electric field.

3. Which type of sheet of charge has a greater influence on the electric field of a point charge?

An infinite sheet of charge has a greater influence on the electric field of a point charge compared to a finite sheet of charge. This is because the electric field of an infinite sheet of charge extends infinitely in all directions, while the electric field of a finite sheet decreases with distance from the sheet.

4. Can a finite sheet of charge be treated as an infinite sheet in calculations?

In certain cases, a finite sheet of charge can be approximated and treated as an infinite sheet in calculations. This is typically done when the dimensions of the finite sheet are much larger than the distance from the sheet to the point of interest.

5. How does the electric potential differ between finite and infinite sheets of charge?

The electric potential of an infinite sheet of charge is constant at all points, while the electric potential of a finite sheet of charge is not. This is because the electric potential is directly proportional to the electric field, and as discussed earlier, the electric field of a finite sheet is not constant throughout.