Psychiatry how much of it is bs?

• Medical
  • Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
There are many factors involved and no one has found any definitive causation...And the same goes for CBT... There is no definitive cause...So please don't make it sound so simple...There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I am not the one claiming that ADD is a neurological disorder. I am simply summarizing the conversation, which includes various opinions and viewpoints on the topic. In summary, the conversation discusses whether ADD is a real condition or a label created by society. Some believe that ADD is a genuine neurological disorder, while others believe it is a psychiatric disorder with no clear underlying cause. The conversation also touches on the use of medication and the influence of the pharmaceutical industry in diagnosing and treating ADD. Ultimately, there is
jammieg
I met this young women the other day with ADD, i knew there was something wrong about the way she communicated right away always wandering off topic and then later she admitted she had ADD, now here's my problem with this I know without a doubt that attention is a habit it can can be focused or unfocused of a person's choosing for the most part unless they watch a lot of garbage TV, so by being stamped as someone with ADD and not explaining to here what it really is and saying she just needs to take this medice for it and pay this amount of money a month and it is a lifelong disorder with no cure, well, do you see what I'm getting at? I wonder how far back in history this bs has been going on? NOT that all pschiatrist are bad, and I'm sure they all believe that they are helping others, but come on, nowdays if your are quiet and shy in school you must have some disorder, if you are loud and energetic you must have a disorder, come on.
There's something wrong with you, only I know what it is and only by taking this will you get better and it's only 29.95!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
OK,
1] Punctuation? Hello?

2] "...I know without a doubt that attention is a habit it can can be focused or unfocused of a person's choosing..."

Well, far be it from me to put doubt where there is no doubt in your mind, but...

As the parent of a child with ADD I can tell you without a doubt that the condition exists. I would be happy to describe some of the tribulations we went through in coming to this realization.

FYI: This video was posted along with a link to an organization called CCHR. A little digging reveals this:

http://www.cchr.org/index.cfm/search/5367/6284 [Broken]
The Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR) is a non-profit, public benefit organization dedicated to investigating and exposing psychiatric violations of human rights and ensuring that criminal acts within psychiatry are reported to the proper authorities and acted upon.

It was founded in 1969 by the Church of Scientology and the internationally acclaimed author, Dr. Thomas Szasz, Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the State University of New York. At that time, the victims of psychiatry were a forgotten minority group, warehoused under dreadful—often terrifying—conditions in institutions around the world. CCHR penned a Mental Health Declaration of Human Rights that has served as its guide for mental health reform.

They have a well known hatred of the psychiatric profession.
jammieg said:
There's something wrong with you, only I know what it is and only by taking this will you get better and it's only 29.95!
Is that $29.95 you are referring to for a copy of Dianetics? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like some clarification from the OP if I may.

It seems that you views on ADD are the springboard for your claim about psychiatry.

Is this thread about the condition of ADD, or is it about the validity of psychiatry? Because I think the first will need to be shown before the second can be discussed.

Society says you have a phyciatric problem if you are different from everyone else. As far as I'm concerned, if you can spot your problems and fix them. Then you will have a lower chance of getting mental problems.

You should watch the movie, "one flew over the cuckoo nest".

Lack of concentration is only part of having ADD.

Along with that comes anxiety, lack of an ability to plan, implusive behavior, feelings of not accomplising goals and a lot of other effects. And ADD is not a psychiatric disorder per se, it's considered a neurological disorder.

Think of it like this, imagine trying and needing to write a paper. You know exactly what you want to write, you have paper and a pencil and pencil sharpener. But when you try to start it almost physically hurts to concentrate & focus on what you hope to accomplish, that you eventually just decide not to do it at all and fail.

Don't criticize what you don't understand.

Last edited:
bassplayer142 said:
Society says you have a phyciatric problem if you are different from everyone else. As far as I'm concerned, if you can spot your problems and fix them. Then you will have a lower chance of getting mental problems.
This is naive in the extreme.

VOLVORacr said:
ADD is not a psychiatric disorder per se, it's considered a neurological disorder.

ADD is definitely not a neurological disorder... There is nothing neurologically wrong with hyperactive children... You can't do a CT scan and go 'looky here, we have someone with ADD'... It is a psychiatric disorder...

DaveC426913 said:
As the parent of a child with ADD I can tell you without a doubt that the condition exists. I would be happy to describe some of the tribulations we went through in coming to this realization.

Go and tell us your story please Dave...

i still don't understand why hyperactive children are given amphetamines so maybe you'll give us an insight...

Revenged said:
ADD is definitely not a neurological disorder... There is nothing neurologically wrong with hyperactive children... You can't do a CT scan and go 'looky here, we have someone with ADD'... It is a psychiatric disorder...

This is completely wrong: Many psychiatric disorders are neurological. and looky here: CT scans of normal and ADHD children.
The Attention Deficit Disorder children show excessive slow brainwave activity (theta and alpha ranges) compared to non- ADD ADHD activity. The slow brainwave activity indicates a lack of control in the cortex of the brain.​

D H said:
This is completely wrong: Many psychiatric disorders are neurological. and looky here: CT scans of normal and ADHD children.
The Attention Deficit Disorder children show excessive slow brainwave activity (theta and alpha ranges) compared to non- ADD ADHD activity. The slow brainwave activity indicates a lack of control in the cortex of the brain.​

And the significance of that...?

What about all the hundreds of people with frontal lobe damage - and have no signs of ADHD?

It is rarely that simple... There is no definitieve neurological underlying causes for psychiatric conditions, which is why you can't diagnose hyperactivity/depression/anxiety through CT scans...

"Additionally, the regions with the greatest deficit of activity in the ADHD patients (relative to the controls) included the premotor cortex and the superior prefrontal cortex.[19] A second study in adolescents failed to find statistically significant differences in global glucose metabolism between ADHD patients and controls, but did find statistically significant deficits in 6 specific regions of the brains of the ADHD patients (relative to the controls). Most notably, lower metabolic activity in one specific region of the left anterior frontal lobe was significantly inversely correlated with symptom severity.[27] These findings strongly imply that lowered activity in specific regions of the brain, rather than a broad global deficit, is involved in ADHD symptoms. However, these readings are of subjects doing an assigned task. They could be found in ADHD diagnosed patients because they simply were not attending to the task. Hence the parts of the brain used by others doing the task would not show equal activity in the ADHD patients"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention-deficit_hyperactivity_disorder

I don't personally believe that the vast majority of people who are hyperactive, depressed, schizophrenic have their conditions because there is something wrong with their brain...

Last edited:
Revenged said:
And the significance of that...?

They could be found in ADHD diagnosed patients because they simply were not attending to the task. Hence the parts of the brain used by others doing the task would not show equal activity in the ADHD patients"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention-deficit_hyperactivity_disorder

I don't personally believe that the vast majority of people who are hyperactive, depressed, schizophrenic have their conditions because there is something wrong with their brain...

Are you saying it is an issue of "they simply were not attending to the task" as much as someone with epilepsy "simply refusing to stop shaking and tremblin"?

You would be wrong.

Revenged said:

Then what do you suppose is causing the trouble?

I think he is referring to a Psychological vs Physiological problem..

Anyhow, i think it always reduce to the physiological level, just that in some cases we don't know much how, not in schizophrenia and depression where is well known that some of their causes are physiological problems in the brain and neurotransmitters

Last edited:
One thing that those with ADD have to contend with is that they do not have filters.

What are you doing right now? Is there a radio playing nearby? TV? Fire truck outside? Did you even notice until I mentioned it?

ADD sufferers hear all these sounds without the filters that the rest of us have. They are unable to tune them out. While you and I could have a conversation in a room with a dozen other people, ADD sufferers will hear everyone in the room as easily as they hear you.

DaveC426913 said:
While you and I could have a conversation in a room with a dozen other people, ADD sufferers will hear everyone in the room as easily as they hear you.
This ability may well have been advantageous during much our evolution. Who do you want sleeping next to you in the cave, Zonk who sleeps through everying, or Urgg, who seems to sense every leopard that tries to sneak up on the cave? ADHD may have been beneficial while hunting as well. The last person you want on the hunt is the deep thinker who can't see the forest for the bug on the bark of the tree.

VOLVORacr said:
Are you saying it is an issue of "they simply were not attending to the task" as much as someone with epilepsy "simply refusing to stop shaking and tremblin"?

You would be wrong.

I'm not saying that at all... I never compared ADD to epileptic seizures!

That was my point.

Math Is Hard said:
Then what do you suppose is causing the trouble?

That's the question... I think with ADD it's mainly behavioural... I am not aware of good physiological reason for it...

Regarding depression, which someone mentioned... There is always this idea that it's physiological and i think this is a bit of a misconception between cause and effect...

What is true is that anti-depressants work by increasing neurotransmitters in the brain and make people happier... but depression is not caused bylower neurotransmitter levels...
There has been little to no evidence on this... and despite most drug companies have spent billions trying to prove the 'monoamine theory of depression'... It is no believed by majority of people anymore... There were far too many faults with this theory... Anti-depressants taking 2 weeks to have any effect (went against monoamine theory of depression - as theory would suggest drugs would have had an immediate effect... also there were unexplained anonmalies with this theory - e.g. cocaine is a reuptake inhibitor but is not antidepressant, atypical anti-depressants work and don't have any effect on monoamine levels...etc.

There is a new theory about anti-depressants causing neurogeneration but this is a bit hazy to me... Where is the evidence that depressed patients need regeneration of neurones?...

Neuroscience is the only thing that I studied that becomes exponentially more difficult and confusing... When you really look into things you'll understand just how little is known about the brain... and with everything they find out it seems to get twenty times harder... As for psychiatry... Definitely not for me...

VOLVORacr said:
That was my point.

My quote said that X parts of the brain weren't active in the brain of ADD patients because they weren't doing the task...

So X part of the brain are involved in doing the task... It doesn't prove anything...

You cannot extrapolate to say that 'people with ADD have it because of inactivity in certain parts of the brain'...

And do your research... People have stated that ADD is caused because of genes, glucose metabolism, neurological damage, environmental factors, food colourings, lack of fish oils, bad parenting...etc... It is by no means a neurological condition like grand mal epilepsy!...

I'm personally not convinced there is something neurological wrong causing hyperacitivity in the vast majority of children... You guys can make up your own minds...

Last edited:
Revenged said:
I'm personally not convinced there is something neurological wrong causing hyperacitivity in the vast majority of children... You guys can make up your own minds...

Hyperactivity no, but that is only 1 of many related symptoms.
In addition to hypoactivity.
So who is right?

Or is it better to ignore the symptoms all together?

But wait!

Then when have the new exciting diagnosis of AADD, that's even more trivial.

I'm sure you are not too unfamilar with the issue of assumption.

Your argument is moot.

It's a cause and effect. If someone is having a seizure that individual is incapable of regulating the part of the brain that would make it well, no. Or that part of the brain is damaged in someway. Now I may be wrong, but I though seizures can be caused by enviromental factors? Your prognois based on the inability to assimilate between the two only confirms my point more.

Your rational, "they simply were not attending to the task" is flawed in the same way.

VOLVORacr said:
Hyperactivity no, but that is only 1 of many related symptoms.
In addition to hypoactivity.

My child (he is 25 now) is of the non-hyperactive flavour. He does not have the excess of energy that is typically associated with ADD. But attention-deficit he is.

Revenged said:
No, you can't do a CT scan to diagnose ADD, because a CT scan will only detect gross structural abnormalities of the brain, not functional abnormalities. In ADD, there is a neurotransmitter deficit, which is why you can treat it with amphetamines...to stimulate the parts of the brain that are involved in the attention process. Indeed, a pretty good indicator that someone has been misdiagnosed with ADD (yes, that does happen too) is that the drugs given will worsen their inattention and hyperactivity. In a person with ADD, the drugs normalize them.

Here are just a few recent sources to show that this is indeed a neurological disorder. Please do not post opinion as if it were fact if you have not bothered to at least look at the literature in the field to know what you're talking about.

Epilepsy Res. 2007 Jul;75(2-3):130-7. Epub 2007 Jun 27.
Ictal and interictal EEG abnormalities in ADHD children recorded over night by video-polysomnography.

Silvestri R, Gagliano A, Calarese T, Aricò I, Cedro C, Condurso R, Germanò E, Vita G, Tortorella G.
Sleep Medicine Centre, Department of Neurosciences, Psychiatric and Anaesthesiological Sciences, University of Messina, Italy. rosalia.silvestri@unime.it
In this paper we explore the prevalence of ictal and interictal epileptiform discharges (IEDs) and sleep disorders in ADHD children referred to a sleep clinic for all night video-PSG. Forty-two ADHD outpatients (35 males and 7 females) underwent video-PSG and a behavioural/neuropsychological assessment. Spearman correlation coefficients (p<0.05 criterion level) were used to assess the association between cognitive, behavioural, clinical (co-morbidity), sleep (sleep efficiency) and EEG (seizures, IEDs, localization of IEDs foci) variables. Sleep disorders were found in 86% of ADHD children; among these, 26% had RLS. 53.1% of ADHD children had IEDs (28.2% centro-temporal spikes, 12.5% frontal spikes, 9.3% temporal-occipital spikes and 2.3% generalized S-W). Nocturnal seizures were recorded in three patients: two with atypical interictal rolandic spikes and one with left frontal slow abnormalities. A significant relationship (p<0.05) emerges between nocturnal seizures and WISC-R IQ score and visual-spatial memory test and between some cognitive variables and interictal rolandic spikes. High levels of inattention, impulsivity/hyperactivity and oppositional behaviours were related (p<0.01 or 0.05) with Restless Leg Syndrome diagnosis. In conclusion, ADHD is a condition often associated with EEG epileptiform abnormalities. Seizures/IEDs presence seems to play a role on cognitive abilities, conversely sleep disorders have a stronger impact on behavioural rather than cognitive indicators.
PMID: 17588723 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Am J Psychiatry. 2007 Apr;164(4):647-55.
Comment in:
Am J Psychiatry. 2007 Apr;164(4):547-51.
Cerebellar development and clinical outcome in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

Mackie S, Shaw P, Lenroot R, Pierson R, Greenstein DK, Nugent TF 3rd, Sharp WS, Giedd JN, Rapoport JL.
Columbia University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA.
OBJECTIVE: Anatomic magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) studies have detected smaller cerebellar volumes in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) than in comparison subjects. However, the regional specificity and longitudinal progression of these differences remain to be determined. The authors compared the volumes of each lobe of the cerebellar hemispheres and vermis in children with ADHD and comparison subjects and used a new regional cerebellar volume measurement to characterize the developmental trajectory of these differences. METHOD: In a longitudinal case-control study, 36 children with ADHD were divided into a group of 18 with better outcomes and a group of 18 with worse outcomes and were compared with 36 matched healthy comparison subjects. The volumes of six cerebellar hemispheric lobes, the central white matter, and three vermal subdivisions were determined from MR images acquired at baseline and two or more follow-up scans conducted at 2-year intervals. A measure of global clinical outcome and DSM-IV criteria were used to define clinical outcome. RESULTS: In the ADHD groups, a nonprogressive loss of volume was observed in the superior cerebellar vermis; the volume loss persisted regardless of clinical outcome. ADHD subjects with a worse clinical outcome exhibited a downward trajectory in volumes of the right and left inferior-posterior cerebellar lobes, which became progressively smaller during adolescence relative to both comparison subjects and ADHD subjects with a better outcome. CONCLUSIONS: Decreased volume of the superior cerebellar vermis appears to represent an important substrate of the fixed, nonprogressive anatomical changes that underlie ADHD. The cerebellar hemispheres constitute a more plastic, state-specific marker that may prove to be a target for clinical intervention.
PMID: 17403979 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007 Mar;28(3):543-7.
Characterizing anatomic differences in boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder with the use of deformation-based morphometry.

Wang J, Jiang T, Cao Q, Wang Y.
National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, People's Republic of China.
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: Most previous neuroimaging studies of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) rely on the manual delineation of the region of interest, which is subjective and lacks reproducibility. The purpose of this study was to use an automated method to assess whether there are abnormalities in the brains of patients with ADHD. In view of findings from previous imaging and neuropsychologic studies, we predicted that we would detect abnormalities in many brain regions of patients with ADHD. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Twelve boys with ADHD and 12 control subjects underwent MR imaging assessments. Statistically significant changes in regional volume were analyzed by using deformation based morphometry (DBM). This technique derived a voxel-wise estimation of regional tissue volume change from the deformation field required to warp subject to the template image. Morphologic differences between groups were estimated at each voxel, applying a threshold (P < .001) to the resulting voxel statistic maps to generate clusters of spatially contiguous suprathreshold voxels, RESULTS: The statistical results reveal some pronounced volume alterations in the brains of ADHD. Volume reductions are mainly localized in right prefrontal (Talairach 48, 20, 31), right medial temporal (Talairach 59, -52, 13), left parietal lobe (Talairach -32, -61, 41), and right basal ganglia (especially right putamen) (Talairach 21, 1, 11); the regions of volume enlargement in the brains of ADHD are observed in the right occipital lobe (Talairach 20, -86, 29) and in the left posterior lateral ventricle (Talairach -23, -40, 15). CONCLUSION: Our findings confirm that there are widespread abnormalities in volume of boys with ADHD.
PMID: 17353333 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Neuroimage. 2007 Apr 15;35(3):1004-20. Epub 2007 Feb 8.
A structural MRI study in monozygotic twins concordant or discordant for attention/hyperactivity problems: evidence for genetic and environmental heterogeneity in the developing brain.

van 't Ent D, Lehn H, Derks EM, Hudziak JJ, Van Strien NM, Veltman DJ, De Geus EJ, Todd RD, Boomsma DI.
Department of Biological Psychology, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. d.vant.ent@psy.vu.nl <d.vant.ent@psy.vu.nl>
Several structural brain abnormalities have been reported in patients with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). However, the etiology of these brain changes is still unclear. To investigate genetic and environmental influences on ADHD related neurobiological changes, we performed Voxel-Based Morphometry on MRI scans from monozygotic (MZ) twins selected from a large longitudinal population database to be highly concordant or highly discordant for ratings on the Child Behavior Checklist Attention Problem scale (CBCL-AP). Children scoring low on the CBCL-AP are at low risk for ADHD, whereas children scoring high on this scale are at high-risk for ADHD. Brain differences between concordant high-risk twin pairs and concordant low-risk twin pairs likely reflect the genetic risk for ADHD; brain differences between the low-risk and high-risk twins from discordant MZ twin pairs reflect the environmental risk for ADHD. A major difference between comparisons of high and low-risk twins from concordant pairs and high/low twins from discordant pairs was found for the prefrontal lobes. The concordant high-risk pairs showed volume loss in orbitofrontal subdivisions. High-risk members from the discordant twin pairs exhibited volume reduction in the right inferior dorsolateral prefontal cortex. In addition, the posterior corpus callosum was compromised in concordant high-risk pairs, only. Our findings indicate that inattention and hyperactivity symptoms are associated with anatomical abnormalities of a distributed action-attentional network. Different brain areas of this network appear to be affected in inattention/hyperactivity caused by genetic (i.e., high concordant MZ pairs) vs. environmental (i.e., high-low discordant MZ pairs) risk factors. These results provide clues that further our understanding of brain alterations in ADHD.
PMID: 17346990 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2007 Feb;17(1):11-7.
Striatal creatine and glutamate/glutamine in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.

Carrey NJ, MacMaster FP, Gaudet L, Schmidt MH.
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Normand.Carrey@iwk.nshealth.ca
OBJECTIVE: The glutamatergic prefrontal-striatal pathway has been implicated previously in the neurobiology of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). We used short echo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (1H-MRS) to examine glutamate in the prefrontal cortex, left striatum, and, as a control area, the occipital lobe. METHOD: Thirteen treatment-naïve ADHD children and 10 healthy comparison subjects participated. All were males between the ages of 6 to 11 years of age. Twelve ADHD subjects were scanned after 8 weeks of treatment. RESULTS: Striatal glutamate, glutamate/glutamine (Glx) and creatine concentrations were greater in the ADHD subjects at baseline as compared to controls. Only striatal creatine, not glutamate or Glx, was reduced after stimulant treatment in the ADHD patients. No significant differences between groups were noted in the remainder of the striatal metabolites or any of the occipital lobe or prefrontal cortex metabolites. CONCLUSIONS: These findings provide initial evidence of a striatal creatine/glutamatergic dysregulation in ADHD.
PMID: 17343550 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Psychiatry Res. 2007 Feb 28;154(2):171-80. Epub 2007 Feb 8.
Mapping brain structure in attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder: a voxel-based MRI study of regional grey and white matter volume.

McAlonan GM, Cheung V, Cheung C, Chua SE, Murphy DG, Suckling J, Tai KS, Yip LK, Leung P, Ho TP.
Department of Psychiatry, University of Hong Kong. mcalonan@hkucc.hku.hk
The neuroanatomical basis of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is postulated to involve brain circuitry responsible for attention and executive function. Relatively new automated methods of MRI analysis allow rapid examination of each volume element (voxel) of whole brain, therefore we planned a comprehensive quantitative examination of brain anatomy in children with ADHD using voxel-based methods. We aimed to quantify whole brain, global tissue class and regional grey and white matter volume differences in 28 male children with ADHD and 31 closely matched controls. Since ADHD is often complicated by comorbid oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) and conduct disorder (CD), we also conducted post-hoc analyses of subgroups of children with ADHD with and without these comorbidities. Significant regional deficits in ADHD were observed within a predominantly right-sided frontal-pallidal-parietal grey matter network and bilateral white matter tracts. Post-hoc comparisons suggested that comorbid ODD or CD did not greatly alter the extent of regional pathology in ADHD. The exceptions being cerebellar and striatal volume deficits which were significantly greater in children with ADHD plus comorbidities, but not those with ADHD alone, compared to controls. Overall, restricted structural brain abnormalities caused by ADHD were localized to brain systems known to be necessary for attention and executive function.
PMID: 17291727 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited:
I've found binaural beats work as well or the same as Amphetamines.

1. How valid is the science behind psychiatry?

The science behind psychiatry, also known as psychiatric research, is constantly evolving and improving. While there is still much to learn and discover, there is a strong foundation of evidence-based research supporting the validity of psychiatry as a medical specialty.

2. Is psychiatry solely based on subjective opinions?

No, psychiatry is not solely based on subjective opinions. While there is an element of subjectivity in diagnosis and treatment, psychiatry also utilizes objective measures such as brain imaging and laboratory tests to support diagnoses and track progress.

3. Are psychiatric medications just a way to make money for pharmaceutical companies?

While it is true that pharmaceutical companies do make a profit from psychiatric medications, this does not mean that these medications are not effective in treating mental illnesses. Like any other medication, psychiatric medications undergo rigorous testing and are approved by regulatory bodies before being marketed.

4. Are all mental health disorders just made up by psychiatrists?

No, mental health disorders are not simply made up by psychiatrists. They are recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), which is based on extensive research and clinical experience. Mental health disorders are complex conditions that can have a significant impact on an individual's well-being and require proper diagnosis and treatment.

5. Can mental health disorders be cured through therapy alone?

It depends on the individual and the severity of their disorder. While therapy can be a very effective treatment for many mental health disorders, it may not be enough for some individuals. In these cases, a combination of therapy and medication may be necessary for the best outcome.